SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inside and in the bowels of my boat lies a Bukh 48 HP deisel that is not running. The kid that messed with it before I took it away from him played with it and now I have a box of parts. It still has compression, will turn over, but that's as far as I will go. Anyone out there have any advice?????

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
Do you have a maintenance manual? Not talking about an owner's manual, but a "here's how to do an overhaul" kind of guide.

If not, you're in for a long haul...

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,337 Posts
I believe that the Bukh is based on a Kubota Tractor motor. [EDIT: I had Bukh and Nanni confused. To be clear; Bukh is NOT based on a Kubota]

Diesel engines rely on the heat generated by compressing the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder to ignite the fuel.

You say that you have verified that it has compression, but does it have enough? Diesels compress the fuel/air mix to about 350 PSI (+/- 50) to ignite the fuel. Start with a DIESEL compression test.

Is the engine getting fuel? If so, is it getting fuel at the right time? Injector timing is critical, and is either controlled by the high pressure fuel (injector) pump generating ~ 1200PSI to the injector, or by an electronic solenoid opening, either must happen at exactly the right time in the rotation of the crankshaft to enable the engine to run. I suspect that this engine is not electronically controlled, and therefore the operation of the injector pump is suspect. Get someone that knows diesels to take a look. You may want to look to the local Kubota dealership.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
How much messing about ? Did he strip the thing right down or are your extra bits largely external ? It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that in that box of parts lies your answer.

First up have you checked to make sure you have fuel getting through and has the fuel system been bled ?

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
type in BUKH marine diesel and you will find service manuals , parts manuals and information about this engine. i was a diesel technician before i retired, but have never worked on this engine. i can answer general questions about diesels. i worked for cummins for 30 years. i have a yanmar in my sailboat.

Reactions: seaner97

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I found the old manuals tucked away in a cabinet. Going to do an inventory of the boxed parts (yes they are mostly external parts) and see how far I can go.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,376 Posts
I had a smaller Buhk in my last boat. They are comparatively simple engines to work on, and pretty reliable. Parts were quite expensive and not always available in a timely manner. I think Buhk makes most of their own major parts so I don't believe they are based on another engine.

To start, Diesels need to have clean- comparatively fresh fuel, The fuel lines need to be free of air (bled), and turn over fast enough to start. The small Buhk did not have a glow plug. I don't know whether the big ones have glow plugs, but if it does they should be working as well. In any event assuming the previous owner and the time the engine spent sitting did not damage the injectors, or injector pump, and assuming the injector pump is timed right, that the lift pump works, that there is adequate compression, and the fuel lines are all good.and assuming clean fresh fuel, the engine should start and run. Has anyone warned you about 'hydro-lock? You need to be careful not to fill the engine with water while you crank it over.
Good luck,
Jeff

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Master Mariner
8,770 Posts
Bukh diesels have been around for a very long time.
Most I am familiar with are single cylinder, air cooled diesels of incomparable reliability and economy. They are about as simple as a diesel can be and if yours is one of these, it is well worth repairing and keeping.
If it is one of their newer engines, I have no familiarity with them,but the company had a great reputation and should be extremely helpful in getting your engine running again. Thankfully, most Dames speak English.
Good luck.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Thankfully, most Dames speak English.
Good luck.
Sometimes a typo deserves to be noticed and preserved for posterity .... :)

Reactions: AdamLein

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Bukhs are fabulous things. Little bit noisy compared to Yanmar but not outrageously so.

Garrison .... what was the engine doing before you handed it over to the kid ?

·
Master Mariner
8,770 Posts
Reactions: tdw

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the boat from him, he had tried to get it to run but just took parts off instead. when he gave up on the boat I picked the project up from him and now am in the process of restoring. His name was Nick and on my dock we use the phrase "it's been Nick fixed" quite often when a problem arizes. I'm going thru a box of parts with the parts manual now to see where I am. Bukh parts are not cheap and not readily available unless your in Erope I have found. At the moment I am considering repowering or fixing. The Sapphire has come a long ways since I got her and before I restep the masts I want to deal with the motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts