SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 34C
672 Posts
Doesn't sound that bad. Not sure I like the patching method, but sounds solid enough. The atomic 4 is a bit of a worry though. Pretty easy to drop some big dollars if it craps out on you down the road. As for the sails, at this stage you probably don't have the skills to know if they are actually in good shape. I have ahd pretty sails that were easy to tear due to uv damage. The mark of a good sail is generally it's 'crispiness'. If they are soft like bedsheets they will still work, but will be harder to handle because they will act more like parachutes.

My first boat was a CS27, which can be had for anywhere bewtween $3000 - $10,000. I chose to find the best one I could, and it was mint, honestly the nicest one in existence, (and still is with the new owner). In five years I had 2 repairs to do, a fuel pump, and a patch on the main sail. Absolutely nothing got in the way of way of me sailing it whenever I wanted. There were no issues that dragged me down. I mention this because there are similar boats at your size that are out there. For example here is Hunter 23 that is for sale - the owner is the person I sold my CS27 to. He said he put about $20,000 into it. Now for sale at about $5000 USD. Hunter sloop 1986 Used Boat for Sale in Windsor, Ontario - BoatDealers.ca He's lowered the price a couple of times because it's hard to find buyers for fully refitted smaller boats. I use it only as example of that market, not as a suggestion for purchase, (although...?).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.