SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,268 Posts
Reaction score
I dont know about the specifics of those areas, but i can tell you a bit about solo sailing off shore at night.

You can do it in one big non sleeping stint.... But the chances are you will be too excited to get good sleep the night before so its best to get sleep on your overnighter. I have a couple of kitchen digital timers. I set one at 20 minutes and one at 30 incase i miss the first. And a big alarm clock if i sleep through both!

Get plenty of sleep! Its better to arrived refreshed than being tired.

The next most important thing is to relax and enjoy it.

Darkness makes everything seem weird... But its just the same as daytime. In somethings even better... You can see ships light much further off than seeing a ship in daytime.
As Colregs say, if you are the stand on boat stand on! I dont take an assessment till i can see the nav lights in the binoculars... That the red and green. If you cant see them the ship is too far away to worry about.

Ships do normal shippy things. Fishing boats do strange things only fishermen understand. Just be cool are it will come off well.

I prefer sailing at night than during the day. Its fun, interesting and kinda nice. So just relax and see if you can find that enjoyment. And sleep!

Mark

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,268 Posts
Reaction score
I prefer no moon, myself.. Each to their own :)

I was about 100 nm east of Norfolk last year and the VHF16 went berserk with navy warnings about gunnery practice. So if they are out there blowing things up you WILL hear about it :)

It was quite fun to listen to :)

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,268 Posts
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the reports about live fire exercises!
Don't be intimidated! :D if my experience is anything to go by the splatter VHF 16 with warnings and have vessels watching for boats straying into the area. So just listen to the vhf.

You'll be safe. Remember you have the worlds 2 biggest surrender flags flying! :laugher

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.