SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
PBzeer is right, Masonboro is a piece of cake...

I'd only have one concern, if you're thinking of doing this anytime soon...

Usually right around this time of the year, the Navy and Marines play war games/maneuvers in the waters off Camp Lejeune. Usually one carrier milling about, and a host of other ships, and amphibious hovercraft racing back and forth to the beach... It can get pretty busy out there, and they definitely want you to keep clear...

As long as you're not inshore of the rhumb line from Masonboro to Beaufort, you should be OK... But on occasion, I've been told to divert a bit further off. They're always polite, and aren't trying to make life hard for recreational boaters, but dealing with such maneuvers at night could definitely be a hassle...

2 years ago I was coming into Beaufort in the middle of the night after a passage up from Lauderdale. There were 2 large Navy ships about 15 miles out zig-zagging all over the place between me and the inlet, of course not transmitting AIS, and my repeated attempts to raise them on VHF went unanswered... They eventually high-tailed it out of there, but it was still enough of a PITA to deal with, that I was seriously considering just parking it, and waiting for daylight to proceed.

So, I'd suggest you try to find out whether such maneuvers will be held this spring, and what the timing of them might be. It could be well worth trying to schedule your trip to avoid such timing...

Good luck, that should be a beautiful sail, one of my favorite short hops outside anywhere along the East coast... As Tempest suggested, I'd think about leaving a bit closer to evening, one other thing you want to try to avoid is arriving at the approaches to Beaufort Inlet early in the AM, when you're likely to be tired, and the sportfishing fleet will all be blasting out of there...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.