SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
Reaction score
Hi, I can't speak to Masonboro as I haven't been through there in years. I'm sure someone will chime in with up to date local knowledge. You can also check active captain.

I think you might want to evaluate your departure timing though. Leaving at noon using a conservative 4 knot avg you could arrive @ 5 a.m. the next morning. Which would be OK But, If you make better time, and you probably could, you could arrive in the middle of the night. @ 5 kn avg. you'd arrive @ 2 a.m.

· Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
Reaction score
I prefer no moon, myself.. Each to their own :)

I was about 100 nm east of Norfolk last year and the VHF16 went berserk with navy warnings about gunnery practice. So if they are out there blowing things up you WILL hear about it :)

It was quite fun to listen to :)
I got a spectacular private Air Show in about the same location ( about 100 miles east of Norfolk) from the USS enterprise one year. Probably landing qualifications. It was the 1st dry day in four at sea .. So every cushion and article of clothing was on deck and hanging from the lifelines drying out. I was embarrassed by our appearance when their rescue chopper flew by.

No full moon this weekend...

· Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
Reaction score
Looks like Sunday's winds/seas are a bit of a mixed bag but Improving late in the day with a forecast shift to the SE. Then S . Monday into Tues looks ideal.

It looks like If you stay about 2 miles east of your rhumb line and avoid the charted danger zone ( 334.440) And keep your eyes and ears open and the radio on...you should be fine. Have a great Trip..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.