SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Would this be the best forum for advice on restoring and sailing a 22' twin keel?
Thanks.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
You can ask anything sailing related here. Whether you get good answers will depend. Most anything you read on any forum should be validated anyway. It’s all just good conversation that can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: MoonBeamEstate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can ask anything sailing related here. Whether you get good answers will depend. Most anything you read on any forum should be validated anyway. It’s all just good conversation that can point you in the right direction.
I'm not sure where to start. The boat was last in the water in the early 90s. I had a public mooring in Newburyport, MA for $1.00 per foot ($22 per year with my own mooring). Now it's a 17 yr wait to get a mooring there.
The boat had an Atomic 2 (10 hp) inboard gas engine (yep, a #2, not a #4). It was a dangerous motor with a very hot exhaust. Anyways, I've pulled the motor, which leads me to the first question: what do I power it with?
I planned on a 9.9 long shaft, but I'm thinking that maybe I'll sail it in lakes (if I can find a mooring). Would a 6 hp do the job? The boat weighs approx 2500 lbs.
It has a reverse transom, which might make installing an outboard tricky, but I saw an original flyer for the boat and they did offer outboard motors.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Is it worth restoring? You might spend less starting over. After all that time, you’ll likely need to replace every major component: engine, standing rigging, running rigging, sails, etc. Is it worth it?

What‘s the exact make, model, year?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it worth restoring? You might spend less starting over. After all that time, you’ll likely need to replace every major component: engine, standing rigging, running rigging, sails, etc. Is it worth it?

What‘s the exact make, model, year?
It's a 1961 SEAWITCH twin keel. I have a copy of an original ad that I could post.
The funny thing is that I've actually maintained the boat all these years, in my yard. I re-cored the entire deck a few years ago. The sails have been stored in my attic, the boom and mast have been protected, the rigging is fine. I installed new bulkheads awhile back that I'll probably redo. It sits on a flatbed trailer (that needs new wheels).
I have a 1958 Johnson 18 HP engine that I had planned on using but I'll probably invest in something made in this century.
I've kept sailing on 14" boats - a Lark and a GP 14.
Why the urge to restore it? Not sure.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
seawych 19 ? 6 hp outboard is plenty

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a 6hp Tohatsu Sail Pro on my San Juan 23 and it works great. My boat weighs around 2700 lbs (not including gear or crew) and also has a reverse transom. Plenty of power. You just have to make sure that the combination of shaft length and bracket will get the prop deep enough.

·
Barquito
3,733 Posts
Everything is a compromise on boats. A good inboard will probably be more reliable than an outboard, and is deeper in the water, so won't be as likely to cavitate in waves. If you go with the outboard, a bigger one will be able to punch through wind and waves if you get in a squall on a lee shore. However, if you are careful, you can use a smaller outboard to get to and from your mooring. There are some who manage to sail without an engine. Sometimes even on purpose!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts