SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in law has an early 80's Avon Searider RIB with a Mariner 40HP outboard (probably early 90's). It has not been used for some 7 to 8 years and has been under covers in his garden for that period.

My question is whether I would be wasting my money looking to get the engine serviced and the RIB itself checked over for seaworthiness. I know the boat has been well looked after and always kept under covers (albeit outside). I am keen to use it for waterskiing this summer on inshore waters but am not sure whether a boat this age is still useable??
Any help or advice gratefully received!
Thanks
Jody

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
I was given an old (70's) inflatable that was always kept indoors. It was in rough shape when I got it, but figured I could fix it. The transom ended up dry rotting and the patch on the front was leaking. I ended up doing a bunch of research on the web, and replaced the transom and redid the patch. I've had it for over a year and a half and have had no problems with it It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort. There's a great book on inflatables out there called "Inflatable Boats" by Jim Trefethen. It's out of print, but if you can find a copy it 's a great book.

Dave

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Is it hypalon? How much wear is showing on the skin?

How big is this RIB with a 40 hp motor?

there are fans of the old 2 stroke engines so if it's in decent shape, it will have resale value. Have you priced a new 40 hp motor?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,119 Posts
RIB and Avons are expensive boats...if the tubes hold air , grab it ASAP and count yourself a lucky guy. If it won't hold air for obvious pucnture(s), but a repair kit and patch them and see how that works. RIBs are wonderful.

If the boat is usuable, then take the engine to a shop and see what they say.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Is 40 hp enough for waterskiing?

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
We were given an old Zodiac a few years back with the warning that it had to be pumped up once a day but after a couple of minor patches and all new valves the thing has performed faultlessly. You do need to keep the valves clean or they tend to stick and leak a bit but that holds true for even a new one.

I'd rather spend the time and money to resurrect something old but of quality than buy one of these newer cheaper things.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone who responded - very helpful advice! I will have a look at the valves and see if the tubes hold air. Will take the engine to a boat mechanic and see if it still has any life left in it. Thanks again and happy sailing!

Nereussailor - I will look out for that book too!

·
Registered
407 Posts
The engine will live no matter what. Mercury/ Mariner engines are had to kill I know as it took over 20 years for 3 tween/ teens to kill a 25HP Merc on Georgian Bay. I found a lot of shoals while fishing with it! Even older Johnson and Evinrudes are hard to kill, I sank a 40HP Johnson 3 times, Don't Ask!

The RIB should be repairable at a reasonable cost. Much cheaper than buying new

1 - 9 of 9 Posts