SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an external mast track, ran my hand up the side and i can feel some cathes on the aluminum, a number of them, without even going higher than i can reach , approx 6ft up my 33 ft mast, so i know I have to dand down burrs, but I can't unstep my mast myself, and a bosun chair is a problem when i am 275lbs, and have no one else who can lift me... any advice on getting rid if the burrs, i was thinking of running sandpaaper up the mast using a clamp (jewlers clamp) attached to the halyard and a down haul, but not very confident this would work... are there boat handymen you can hire cheap, seems ridicuous ( and expensive ) to have a yard do it.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,833 Posts
Normally, this should not be an issue. Mast tracks get pretty beat up over time but it doesn't really impact very much.
If you feel compelled to do something about the burrs, filing the worst burrs is a pretty quick job to do when the mast is down, and pulling the mast on a boat that size isn't all that expensive.

Jeff

·
Registered
291 Posts
Where are you ? Maybe you can get some names of mast raising & lowering marinas in your area.
....Or, you can get a lot of advice on mast raising contraptions 😊. Also search internet.
....Do you know the 'burrs' will interfere with raising/lowering sail ? Have you tried it ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
cH
Where are you ? Maybe you can get some names of mast raising & lowering marinas in your area.
....Or, you can get a lot of advice on mast raising contraptions 😊. Also search internet.
....Do you know the 'burrs' will interfere with raising/lowering sail ? Have you tried it ?
chesapeake, and the sail was definately not easy to get up but it needs lubes too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts