SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dock is not deep enough to handle the 5' draft of my boat without hitting bottom at low tide with waves. The bottom is a very gradual slope so i will need to go off the dock about 50' to get to 7' deep water at low tide. My plan is as follows...
Attach 25' of chain to the pylons on the dock, then run 25' of rode to the stern of my Cal 27. Then attach 25' of rode to the bow and 25' of chain connected to a Fortress S2000 43 lbs anchor. The bottom is muddy on top with good sand a couple inches down so the anchor holds really well once it is dug in. Here is a picture of the proposed setup...

The bow of the boat will be facing NNW with this setup. The boat is protected from winds from ENE clockwise to SSW. Leaving only NE to SW winds to deal with.

What do you guys think of this idea?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why not go with a regular mooring? That is a screw or heavy mushroom. Using an anchor even a heavy one is mot the best solution for a permanent mooring.
I don't know what you gain by also tying it to the dock.

Brian

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not go with a regular mooring? That is a screw or heavy mushroom. Using an anchor even a heavy one is mot the best solution for a permanent mooring.
I don't know what you gain by also tying it to the dock.

Brian
The stern line keeps the boat from swinging out of the proper angle for the anchor. I will give enough slack to let it rotate 10 degrees or so but then stop. This will keep the force on the anchor within 10 degrees of the angle it was set into the ground.

I currently do not have the money for a "proper mooring" and I need to get this boat secured right away.

I really don't see this boat pulling the 43 lbs Fortress out of the ground so I think it will work out nicely.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check and see the cost of dredging a Chanel there are several diy sites also just an idea. Maintenance dredging for docks, marinas, canals, lakes and ponds. Commercial Dredging | Industrial Dredging | C&M Dredging, Inc. | Serving All of Florida here are a couple companies in your area
I will look into the dredging companies but I really doubt it will be in our budget. I tried to DIY dredging with a water pump using the pressure side of the pump but the holes kept getting filled back in as I was pumping it away. I didn't have access to a trash pump at the time so it had to be on the pressure side. Also I do not have any dive gear so that makes it much more difficult, and the water in the St Johns river is super murky and you only have 1 1/2' of visibility so that makes it difficult too.

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
Got a friend with a twin screw motor boat? Buy him a tank or two of fuel and have him run his engines at your dock on an ebb tide or three. In a couple of days you might have plenty of water at your dock. Then it's a matter of a few well placed blocks of concrete or rocks to channel water flow and you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.