1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I acquired this cal 20 and I am wondering if it is salvageable
for someone who doesn't mind a lot of work. If you know
any portions of info, sources, or questions, I would love anything.

I found some neglected screw holes that go through the deck on
both port and starboard. Water has been sitting in there for
I don't know how long ,and the deck is soft
in about a 2x2 foot area inside, and less soft outside.

There are tracks along the deck sides that hold pulleys for the jib line to run through, and from the inside the bolts have begun to pull through, and have caused water damage where the deck makes a 90 degree angle down to the hull at the inside part of the gunwale. So the plates where the side stays attach too are sitting
on soft fiberglass spots. Fixable? Is it possibly to saw out a bunch of the fiberglass and gunnel and then rebuild it?

Otherwise, all of the hardware on the deck is feeling solid, but I can
still tell that the deck between them and their backing plates is not completely dry. Do you think it is possible
to take it all off, repair the fiberglass, and put them back on?
I especially wonder this for where the bottom rudder transom is
fixed to a plywood backing plate below the water line.

I would appreciate any input. I am mostly curious if this is stuff that is possible to fix. And also if you think the cost will be too
insane or any estimable range. I don't mind a lot of labor and I'm hoping to make this thing last a long time!

Attachments

·
19,489 Posts
Mostly cosmetic, but hard to tell from distant pictures.. seems some repairs have been made on the bulkhead, and perhaps some cracking on the deck supports, but that seems accessible enough to be repairable too.

The rest just looks like elbow grease and cleanup...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I don't consider core repairs to be elbow grease and cleanup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
19,489 Posts

True... missed that part :eek:

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts

O/K, LOTS of elbow grease & cleanup. :D

Seriously, repairing the core on a boat that size is not a big job (at least compared to my Columbia 43) and it doesn't require any special skills. It also gives you the opportunity to replace the plywood core with something better like balsa or foam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you people for the input so far.

There is this other issue: the trailer is not a correct fit for the boat and it has pushed in the hull a little on the port
and starboard stern. When I wack on the fiberglass around this area, it still feels solid like the rest.

Do yall think the fiberglass is damaged here from this? Or do you think fiberglass can take this much flex?
Do you think they will pop out, sit there?

One thousand thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,464 Posts
As much as I like to see boats brought back from the dead and would love to see you do this, it seems like a lot of work will be needing to repair the neglect. You could probably buy a really nice Cal 20 ready to sail for $2000 or less.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Did you get this boat for free? It appears to be quite abused and personally I wouldn't waste the time to restore it. Appears to have had a chain plate failure or the bulkhead pulled off the hull and a very sloppy amateur repair done on it. If the hull is cored where it is sitting on the trailer you can be assured it has suffered from some delamination with that much deflection. Check the stringers in the bilge and if they have parted from the hull the kell will be wobbling all over the place. Every deck fitting appears to never had been rebedded indicating that you may have core issue of differing degrees at each one. Walk away now. There are plenty of boats in the world.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
The hull isn't cored - those boats were built in the early 60's for the most part. In fact I don't know of any Cal model that had a cored hull - only decks.

The deflection in the hull is common on point loaded areas - I had it happen on my old 26' racer when it was on a boatyard cradle. It comes back to shape once the point loading is relieved. Sometimes it takes a few days but it does come back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all so far.

Keel:

Some friendly gentleman at a local drydock place has been trying to convince me to just put this thing in the water.
He says the cast iron keel is going to rust no matter what I try to do to it (sandblast, fair, epoxy, paint, etc,) and he
says it doesn't even matter, because he says that the thing will still last for 200 years or something like that with rust and all. Is that accurate? I don't care it its ugly and I don't want to race, just cruise, but I want to keep it around as long as possible for my lifetime at least.

The keel does look nice but there is some rust on the outside for sure.
He says just chip off any flakes, put bottom paint on her and then throw her in the water.

Lower rudder mount backing plate:

He never went inside the thing, and one concern I have in this regard is the backing plate for the lower rudder mount.

It's looking old, and I wonder, When should this sort of thing be replaced? When/if it leaks, do yall think it will start slow,
or is this the kind of thing that can sink a boat?

Its plywood and a little musky looking. If the plywood is still solid do you think I should replace it or wait for signs of
failure?

Weird thing:

Oh yeah... there is a little piece of plywood stuck to the bottom of the hull too. lol.....
Should i pry the piece off and see whats hidden underneath?
I know very little about oats, but still I cant imagine what this could be.

Attachments

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Do the keel - and the bottom. Cal 20's are small boats so their speed is limited under the best of conditions and you don't want to give any away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts