SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
And people call a Westsail 32 (phrf ~ 218) slow??
Rightfully so. It may not be the slowest boat afloat but it is a slow boat. That's a similar PHRF to a San Juan 24.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Oh, man- that was a joke in reference to the guy who drifted his Rawson to Da-Nang then flagged down a fishing vessel to take him ashore because his boat was 'leaking'. Sorry. Look up Rimas Malycious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, man- that was a joke in reference to the guy who drifted his Rawson to Da-Nang then flagged down a fishing vessel to take him ashore because his boat was 'leaking'. Sorry. Look up Rimas Malycious.
Hilarious ? Ya, I'm a definite newbie here, did some sailing at Cal Sailing Club in Berkeley, CA but after I moved never had the chance. It's true what my friend once told me, once you see an opportunity jump on, push off, and never look back. Otherwise you'll probably never do it. So hopefully I'll be pushing off in the next two years and I'm never gonna look back.

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many people come on these forums and say they are complete newbies, know nothing of sailing and at most a little about boats in general, but want the members to suggest boats for them, especially those who plan to live aboard and sail 'round the world.
It's like putting the cart before the horse. Many, if not most of us, who did have some pretty extensive sailing experience, still bought the wrong boat the first time around. I know I did. I bought a 49 foot TransPac racer w/22 bags of sails and a monster stick for a cruiser that my wife and I wanted to sail together. Dumb!
How anyone can expect to buy a boat, spend all that hard earned money, before they've ever even set foot on a sailboat, or at least sailed one, baffles me.
It wouldn't occur to me to buy the first car I look at or drove, especially if I didn't even know how to drive, and I'm not going to live in it. How many homes or apartments did you look at before you found the one? Did you ask total strangers to pick your home for you?
I've had many owners in my career and though most were extremely wealthy and obviously had the brains to get there, they seemed to take a "stupid pill" just as they stepped aboard their boat.
Is that it? As soon as most humans decide to get involved in boats, do they take a "stupid pill"? Does all rational thought just go flying out the window?
It's not like those of us on these forums who are more experienced aren't here to help, but it sure would be nice to have someone post, "I've completed ASA XXX, XXX, XXX and XXX. Over the last few years I've sailed on over 30 different boats and I'd like your opinion on these 6, one of which I'd like to live aboard and cruise 'round the world." OK, this OP might not know all that much about construction quality, or engines, or what flaws to look at in a particular boat series, but at least this OP has done his part, learned to sail and actually has taken the time to sail a bunch of boats.
What a pleasure it would be to try to help that poster get into the right boat.
OK, rant over.

Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've lived aboard my Rawson 30 for 22 years and sail single-handed through out Mexico and even a hurricane. Its been tough and simple and cheap and solid and sails at 7kts in 18 of apparent; yes mine is the only Rawson with a Skeg Hung Rudder to my knowledge so no weather helm which is draggin rudder which is SLOW. Buy it love it, you'll never leave her! Her full specs are on Sailnet

21 - 25 of 25 Posts