SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a boat for $40,000 or less. I'm planning to partially live on it and want something that can comfortably sail Caribbean and to Australia and New Zealand. I'm 6'4 and would like to have head room. I was thinking about something in the 35-38 foot range. Not sure where to start as I have limited sailing experience, but have own several fishing boats and I currently charter my fishing boat in the Great Lakes area. I'm looking for something that would be comfortable...in my price range can I get something with AC and the other comforts you find in a home? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
These days, if you have a $40K limit, I'd set the upper limit on a search at $60K or even higher. Many vendors still think the market is like it was pre-'08 but reality and actual selling price is quite different.

$40K will buy you a LOT of boat these days. Locally I've seen a number of nice 40+ footers ASKING less than $40K and still they go begging for extended periods.

Here's an example - a big comfortable 37' - it's been for sale for literally years. You could probably pick it up in the $20's. I heard there are problems with the Perkins in it but still.... $5K or thereabouts would see that rebuilt to new.

Harbour Yacht Sales Ltd.

·
Barquito
3,755 Posts
This doesn't answer the OP's question, but, in looking on e-Bay I saw a Westsail 32 project boat (with tons of equipment included) that went for about $10K. The kicker is that it came with a triple axle trailer. The trailer is probably worth most of the selling price. Zoinks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.