SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a tough boat for mostly SF Bay sailing, but that I can singlehand to Hawaii, and maybe SoCal on a whim. I never see any of the "bulletproof" boats for sail, let alone in my price range. Any thoughts on a 30-36 footer that would always get me home but costs under $40k? I''ve always been attracted to the Ericson. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Practical Sailor suggests that the J/35 is one of the few production boats they''d consider sailing transatlantic. In your price range they''ll be tired, but should still be tough enough to go quite a ways, and it''s a blast to sail. There was one for sale in NY a while back that had been raced Transatlantic singlehanded for about $35k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are serious in looking for a 30 to 36 footer for blue water, look at the Columbias. I am buying a Columbia 36. The interior has a great layout, and I plan to live aboard for several years after I retire in September. Check out the Columbia list (join e-mail lists), and you can find some of the most fanatical sailboat owners I''ve ever seen. Ask them a question and you *will* get a response. Some of the prices are really low since Columbia went out of business in the early 70''s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts