SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the Ericson 34, what boats in the 34-38 ft range have the head aft?
Thanks,
Freeman
ps: Is it just me, or are the current threads really dull? Somebody say something outrageous!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
There should be plenty of them. It is a fairly common arrangement beginning in the mid-late 80's.

Sabre 362 comes to mind. Pearson 34.

The Ericson 333, built by PSC, also has aft head. Maybe that is what you meant by Ericson 34? Or are they distinct models?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
They are distinct models, although I gather very similar. The 34 is actually about 35 LOA, and was offered as a cabin design alternative to the more traditional cabin in the E 35. The 2 are actually about the same size.
Freeman

·
Registered
350 Posts
ps: Is it just me, or are the current threads really dull? Somebody say something outrageous!
All of them do, just make sure you are clipped in and have a good grip while you hang off the Stern Pulpit. :D :D

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! Butt (pun intended) you get to clean the transom! Is that why they call it the poop deck?

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
RagTimeDon, That is EXACTLY why they call it the poop deck. Next time you walk an authentic tall sails ship, check out where the head is.
Actually IrishMist, la poupe is the French derivitive of a ship's "Poop" - meaning the stern. If a wave crashes over the stern of a boat - it's been "pooped" - but, I kinda like your definition . . . :rolleyes:

Our poopdeck will now bring me an entirely new meaning, in spite of having both a forward and aft head.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Beneteau 361.
Aft head is nice because it doubles as the wet locker.
Coming in out of the rain with wet foulies, they get hung up right at the base of the companionway, in the head.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In a tall ship, the "heads" are in the bow, either side of the sprit. They put a platform out there for the use of the sailors. Dicey on a cold, icy night!

·
Registered
993 Posts
In a tall ship, the "heads" are in the bow, either side of the sprit. They put a platform out there for the use of the sailors. Dicey on a cold, icy night!
All the sailors, including the officers, had to use the same head. Because the wind blows from the stern and because the waves crash on the bow, it was the best place to avoid foul odors, etc.

The only excption to this rule was the Captain (and his guests). The captain had a "head" in his quarters, which is totally seperated from the rst of the crew and even the officers. He could bathe, eat, sleep, crap etc there without ever leaving his cabin - which was good because the captain rarely interfaced witht the rest of the crew and was traditionally not even very social with even his officers. The position intentionally placed him away from others for the appearanc of authority and protection. Between the captains quarters and the rest of the ship you would typically have a small armed guard of men who would often sleep just outside the captains quarters in bunks. You could not get to the captain without going through them. They were called marines and one of their key roles, in addition to being sharp shooters for boarding parties, was to potect the captain from muitiny. This is the reason the navy and marines have such a close history with each other.

It is also of interest that the Captain would purchase his own foods/stock with his own money. When foregin ports of call were made, he would invite the governors, etc to the ship and they would literally dine on him. Many times his top officers would dine with him on those occasions. The captain could eat from the same stores as the rest of the crew/officers, but rarely did. Instead, the captain would stay holed up in his cabin when not walking the ship.

Our views from hollywood of the captain and the glamorous life are far from the reality. The captain had the most secluded life of anyone on the ship. However, the differences between his living accomodations and those of the other men (including officers) is extraordinary.

Interesting, huh? Now, there is you history lesson!!! HAHA!

- CD

·
Registered
415 Posts
In Adriatic sea using the transom for bio needs is very common. Most boats here have sugar scoop reverse transom with swim platform.
Very convenient and a common sources of boating accidents.
Usually the person overboard is recovered, underwear is often lost. But there is one or two fatality per year. Sometimes MOB is recovered by some other boat ad I know cases where he was not missed at all until he rejoined in next port.
Being clipped is for considered for children only.
A friend "patented" a special line with just enough slack to allow you to lean over it. Swim platform remains dry, you have both hands free and better chance to stay on board.
I prefer the real head so people think I am strange.

To your original question: I think aft head is very common at 34 feet: Elan 33, Elan 333, some Bavarias, several other boats ...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tomaz,
Thanks for getting back to the point and recovering us from a near highjacking! The captains "Quarter Gallery" was often cantilevered out over the stern quarter, for obvious reasons. I have not found the aft head configuration to be that common, hence my request for referrals. Thanks for all the good input!
\
Freeman

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Van de Stadts often have an aft head. Our 34'er does anyway. I really like them. Having the head virtually under your pillow is not my idea of fun. If I had my choice I'd have two heads, using one as has been mentioned as a wet locker.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Very sorry there about the hijack, Bardo. I was just clarifying a point. But you did say it was getting boring!!!!!

Many of the Catalinas have aft heads. I have yet to find an aft head preferntial over one in the bow... but that is just me. Two heads is ok, but the problem is that you end up with two small heads instead of one really nice one. I would opt for one nice one, but since I have two boys and a wife I would like to keep around, she did NOT want to share with the boys.

- CD

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I have yet to find an aft head preferntial over one in the bow... but that is just me.
Yes, all the easier to get to quickly... ;)
Two heads is ok, but the problem is that you end up with two small heads instead of one really nice one. I would opt for one nice one, but since I have two boys and a wife I would like to keep around, she did NOT want to share with the boys.

- CD
Actually, it's cause he was tired of burying his shorts as hazardous waste... ;)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes, all the easier to get to quickly... ;)

Actually, it's cause he was tired of burying his shorts as hazardous waste... ;)
Everybody keeps taking a shot at me this evening! Giu paying you for this?? He not big enough to take his own shots. Well, I can take care of you, watch this.

Ready! One!! TWO!!! THREE!!!! .... now, FETCH!!!!!

HAHA!

- CD

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
LOL... you weren't supposed to read that quite so quickly. :D
Everybody keeps taking a shot at me this evening! Giu paying you for this?? He not big enough to take his own shots. Well, I can take care of you, watch this.

Ready! One!! TWO!!! THREE!!!! .... now, FETCH!!!!!

HAHA!

- CD

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For what it's worth, we used to have a woody 40 foot, 1940's ketch built in England that not only had an aft head, but an aft master stateroom and a center cockpit as well.

Kinda like the Tucker, a bit ahead of it's time........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts