SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I need a new starter for my Universal M25XP. I noticed that even Catalina Direct sells after market (Chinese made?) starters. I think these are hundreds of dollars less than original Kubota parts.

The after market prices are all over the place. Amazon has one for 90.00. Catalina Direct wants 140.00 plus shipping. Can there really be a difference in quality or are they just selling the same product for different prices?

What's been your experience with these cheaper starters?

·
Registered
24,691 Posts
Can’t respond to your specifics, but Amazon has a bad reputation for counterfeits. Catalina, on the other hand, would have a marine markup. I’d search for a more reputable high volume supplier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On my previous boat I had a Yanmar 3JH with an aftermarket Hitachi starter which worked fine...I had the original rebuilt and kept as a spare.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,468 Posts
Virtually nothing is made in the USA, Japanese Chinese engineering is Way beyond or at least equal to American engineering so I don't know why some of us still persist on making the statement Chinese junk, when it's our companies, our big shot millionaire CEOs sending all their business over to those countries.
Get your best that you're comfortable with and keep the old one that's a spare if you have it rebuilt starters are pretty common items certainly not something that's on the space shuttle.
(Kicks soapbox over to MarkOSL)

·
bell ringer
5,460 Posts
My $103 aftermarket has been in the boat for 10 years, which means it has lasted as many years and twice the engine hours as the Yanmar OEM one that was $600+ (But i killed that one)

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Can’t respond to your specifics, but Amazon has a bad reputation for counterfeits. Catalina, on the other hand, would have a marine markup. I’d search for a more reputable high volume supplier.
What exactly is a counterfeit? a knock off? stick a name on a piece of junk?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I do think, or have read, that for example... their "stainless" is lower grade... I suppose impurities or similar. This may impact the strength of bolts for example.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
The inexpensive starters on ebay and Amazon don't have the best reputation for reliability. Main issue reported seems to be cracking of the metal housing due to poor quality castings. China can manufacture high quality products, but will cut corners when in a market where price is driving things. Do your research. Might be worth paying a bit more for one from Catalina Direct or a Kubota tractor dealer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My starter was installed shortly before I bought this boat. I checked with the yard that did the work and it turns out it is still under warranty. Just barely. So I'm getting a replacement for free.

It's unfortunate that the replacement will be the same product that barely lasted a year.

The starter on my old Subaru with 240000 miles has probably started that engine 10000 times without complaint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Perhaps it's not bad manufacturing or a non brand name product but ask the question, why did the starter fail? Was it the starter or the solenoid attached to the starter? bad ground?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is indeed the solenoid that failed. On a bench test the starter motor is good but the bendix gear does not remain engaged. The ground and other connections are ok. The failure was abrupt, not gradual. The installation was by reputable people.

Starters and solenoids are generally sold as a unit so the whole thing will be replaced.I

I 'd say it was a factory deficiency. Glad for the warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts