SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I need a new starter for my Universal M25XP. I noticed that even Catalina Direct sells after market (Chinese made?) starters. I think these are hundreds of dollars less than original Kubota parts.

The after market prices are all over the place. Amazon has one for 90.00. Catalina Direct wants 140.00 plus shipping. Can there really be a difference in quality or are they just selling the same product for different prices?

What's been your experience with these cheaper starters?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My starter was installed shortly before I bought this boat. I checked with the yard that did the work and it turns out it is still under warranty. Just barely. So I'm getting a replacement for free.

It's unfortunate that the replacement will be the same product that barely lasted a year.

The starter on my old Subaru with 240000 miles has probably started that engine 10000 times without complaint.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is indeed the solenoid that failed. On a bench test the starter motor is good but the bendix gear does not remain engaged. The ground and other connections are ok. The failure was abrupt, not gradual. The installation was by reputable people.

Starters and solenoids are generally sold as a unit so the whole thing will be replaced.I

I 'd say it was a factory deficiency. Glad for the warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts