SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soda blast, faring, and barrier coats nearly complete.

Time for the bottom paint. I'm leaning to stay with Marpro Super Ablative B (aka Bluewater Copper Shield 45), but I'm hearing good things about Aquaguard.

Anyone here have direct experience with Aquaguard?

Locale is Chatham MA area.

·
Registered
966 Posts
First use last season. I like it better than Hydrocoat.

Application was improved. I got a smoother finish with Aquaguard. It's thinner which helped it flow out.

5 months later at haul out(coast of Maine), the bottom was cleaner than I had experienced with Hydrocoat.

The only downside I found was the color green, I prefer the Hydrocoat, but I'm sold on the Aquaguard for the above reasons and it's cheaper. I bought a gallon and used about 2 3/4 quarts to get a nice smooth single coat on my 38' full keel centerboard hull. I'll find out soon if the remainder from last season is reclaimable with some thinning.

Overall, I'm not too happy with ablative paint build up. I try not to apply anymore than needed to avoid a lot of sanding to keep the bottom smooth. Aquaguard looks like it may also be an improvement in this area as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom

Hydrocoat was my next question.

Did you apply the Aquaguard over the Hydrocoat?

And do I understand correctly that Aquaguard is single season?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Not sure how well it works but I sold a few quarts today. The most popular paint we sell is Pettit Horizons. A very good multi season ablative that does not lose its effectiveness if the boat is hauled for any length of time.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thanks Tom

Hydrocoat was my next question.

Did you apply the Aquaguard over the Hydrocoat?

And do I understand correctly that Aquaguard is single season?
I did apply it over Hydrocoat, after the usual spot scraping and sanding off loose flaky areas that seem inevitable in spots like the jackstand which can trap some moisture.

Adhesion was as good as any bottom paint I've used.

Definitely single season but I can't recall any bottom paint I've used, that I would have gotten multi seasons out of(even those that make the claim).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts