SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1977 Catalina 22
It's in great shape with a six month old bottom job and sails only a few years old.

Things I want to do:
  • repair cabin lighting
  • get opinions on condition of the keel (about half rusted on surface, but it is 37 years old)
  • sail around the world, someday

This is my first cruiser so my son (14) and I look forward to a big summer of sailing the Mississippi Sound and camp on the Barrier Islands.

·
19,485 Posts
congraddalashuns! ;)

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
Nice.

The swing keels are iron, and they rust like crazy. You could take it off and sandblast it or go after it with a wire brush and angle grinder and then quickly coat it in something, then fill and fair it, apply epoxy-like coatings, yadda yadda.

For mine, eh...I just try not to look at it too closely.

I would be more concerned with the keel's pivot pin and lifting cable, because losing either of those is bad news. Replacing the cable is not a big deal. Inspecting/replacing the hinge is a little more challenging, and I haven't even gotten to that one myself yet, but I did the cable.

Keel Cable, etc. | Sailing Fortuitous

Good luck with the boat.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
1977 Catalina 22
It's in great shape with a six month old bottom job and sails only a few years old.

Things I want to do:
  • repair cabin lighting
  • get opinions on condition of the keel (about half rusted on surface, but it is 37 years old)
  • sail around the world, someday

This is my first cruiser so my son (14) and I look forward to a big summer of sailing the Mississippi Sound and camp on the Barrier Islands.

Oh hell yeah!!

(And remember, if the major stuff is safe - sail first, work later.)

·
Registered
778 Posts
We're waiting for sailing stories from ya, StNick…

For me, Sunday was 'diving day.' went under the boat to find a barnacle farm growing on my saildrives. Do NOT, I repeat, NOT, use the WM brand outdrive antifoul. It's crap. On the other hand, the Trinidad PRO that is on everything else is working awesomely

·
Captain Obvious
2,424 Posts
Great pics ... Ohh that looks just like mine! Haahaa.. Hey I think you want to run that Halyard through the diagonal block, don't you?

God, I miss my boat.........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.