SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello world!

I'm jelly, I'm 18 and live in the UK spending my time between Surrey and Gosport (Portsmouth Harbour - doorway to the Solent).

I'm a published author (How Teenagers Think, May 2007) and entrepreneur, speaking at conferences about how young people use technology and what it's like being a young entrepreneur. I've also just set up a youth insight agency which is just getting off the ground and has been very successful so far, already delivering a successful project for a major client.

I've been sailing 'properly' for just over a year, but was first hooked when I did my RYA Comp Crew when I was 15. I've sinced volunteered for The Cirdan Sailing Trust, sailing as 3rd hand on their 70-110ft vessels. Cirdan take groups of disadvantaged young people out on week long voyages to give them a positive outlook on life and encourage teambuilding and self-discipline. It works - some of the transformations I've seen have been absolutely amazing.

In February I gained a bursary to take my RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper qualification which I passed this May at the age of 17, the youngest you can take it at. I'm now aiming to get my RYA/MCA Yachtmaster whilst I'm still 18 (next June!).

I'm currently in the process of buying a yacht to live on with my boyfriend, James, in the marina he works at. We're going for a second viewing on a Colvic Victor 34 we have fallen in love with this afternoon. In fact, he's trying to drag me out of the door as we speak, so I best be off...

jelly

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Welcome Jelly, sounds as though you live an interesting life. Good luck with the boat!

-Kristen

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Welcome, Jelly!

It is good to have you with us.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts