SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Standard middle aged, over weight, married with kids guy here. Looking to get back into sailing after years of no time and money. Live in PA near the upper Chesapeake. Got my wife to take ASA 101 recently and looking forward to 103 and 104 in the spring followed by some chartering.

:2 boat:

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
Welcome aboard!

ASA 104 certification simply shows that you demonstrated your instructor's technique for doing things during class. IMHO (and I am an ASA instructor), it does not make you competent.

You and your wife should join a sailing club and sail with as many different skippers on as many different boats as you possibly can. The more often that you sail with different people, the more quickly you will pick up different skills/techniques from each of them, and you have a lot of fun doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enjoy!

Where are you taking 103/104?
Leaning towards Maryland School of Sailing in Rock Hall or possibly Annapolis Sailing School. Would love recommendations if anyone has any (we didn't love our 101 boat or teacher). A two weekend 103 would be great but I don't see many around here.

And if anyone has a recommendation for an upper bay sailing club let us know. Probably needs to be north of Rock Hall or Havre De Grace

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
Speaking for myself only, I doubt that I could take a 4-day course taught by Tom T. at the Maryland School. He has many YouTube videos to give you a flavor of what the course is like.

Why not take one of the courses somewhere away from home? For 103 you are on a cruising boat, and many schools will allow you to live aboard the boat while you are taking the class; school by day, explore a new city by night! During 104 you MUST take the boat overnight, so you are living aboard. I would look at taking these classes in Rhode Island (several ASA schools to choose from), Boston (two ASA schools to choose from) or Portland Maine (one ASA school to choose from).

Disclaimer: I have taught at two of the ASA schools in RI, one of the schools in Boston, and the South Portland Sailing Center in Maine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking for myself only, I doubt that I could take a 4-day course taught by Tom T. at the Maryland School. He has many YouTube videos to give you a flavor of what the course is like.

Why not take one of the courses somewhere away from home? For 103 you are on a cruising boat, and many schools will allow you to live aboard the boat while you are taking the class; school by day, explore a new city by night! During 104 you MUST take the boat overnight, so you are living aboard. I would look at taking these classes in Rhode Island (several ASA schools to choose from), Boston (two ASA schools to choose from) or Portland Maine (one ASA school to choose from).

Disclaimer: I have taught at two of the ASA schools in RI, one of the schools in Boston, and the South Portland Sailing Center in Maine.
I understand what you mean. I have seen a few. I would have to take it with another instructor.

We are not apposed to travel. We thought about hitting the islands this winter but my wife is changing jobs in a month and vacation will be in short supply till the end of spring. Do you recommend any of those schools over another?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
If I were looking at a school, one of my primary criteria would be the age and condition of the school's boats. Call any of the schools that are of interest, ask them what boat (year make and model) is used for 103 and 104. The person on the other end of the phone may not be forthcoming, but feel free to push them to be specific. While they are great boats to learn on, because you don't care if they hit the dock and get damaged, I would NOT suggest living aboard a 1982 Lippincott 30 or a or a 197x Paceship 32, while taking any course.

While I have not taught for the Boston Sailing Center, I would definitely check them out.

Reactions: gtstricky
1 - 8 of 8 Posts