SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ugly problem here. I have a 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 45 with two fuel tanks. When I am set on TANK #1, I am seeing a lot of bubbles in the glass of my Raycor. (think of a freshly poured glass of champaign) If I switch to TANK #2, the bubbles disappear. Switch back to TANK #1, and the bubbles reappear. Sigh. On occasion I get a bit of diesel in my bilge.

I have examined all my fuel lines for a leak. I have examined the fuel line connections on TANK #1, no joy. I suspect the tank switching mechanism as it looks like an overly engineered and highly complex POS.

Thoughts?

-craig

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
576 Posts
Hello,

Ugly problem here. I have a 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 45 with two fuel tanks. When I am set on TANK #1, I am seeing a lot of bubbles in the glass of my Raycor. (think of a freshly poured glass of champaign) If I switch to TANK #2, the bubbles disappear. Switch back to TANK #1, and the bubbles reappear. Sigh. On occasion I get a bit of diesel in my bilge.

I have examined all my fuel lines for a leak. I have examined the fuel line connections on TANK #1, no joy. I suspect the tank switching mechanism as it looks like an overly engineered and highly complex POS.

Thoughts?

-craig
=========================================================================
diesel in the bilge, NO GOOD
air bubbles NO GOOD
visualize a liquid leak, for every drop leaking a drop (bubble) goes in,
Task: find the leak, follow each fuel line from fitting to fitting with your fingers to find the elusive drop.
More likely a fitting not properly torqued.
Have fun!
good luck
ollw

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a similar problem. But I get, from the fuel line that connects the tank with the racor filter/bowl, only air coming in, no trace of diesel coming out. Better replace the tank-filter line even it's not clear there is a visual leak. Of course, clamps and fittings too.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Temporarily replace the fuel line with cheap clear tubing so you can see where the bubbles originate. In my case the fuel line and filter were fine and it was a bad pickup tube inside the fuel tank. This was after a lot of grief and troubleshooting thinking the Racor seals were bad or that other fittings before the filter were loose or bad.

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I solved this mess. Really a mess with two distinct issues, one root cause. The sealant that Beneteau used became discolored and brittle. I was very surprised that in ten years the sealant was garbage, not permatex for sure.

The small dribble diesel leak:
The manifold that controls tank selection has six fittings. To/from tank #1, to/from tank #2, and to/from engine. The issue was that the return from the engine has an elbow fitting on the side of the manifold. All other fittings are straight/barb. When I took off the first fitting I realized that the sealant for the fitting had completely failed, very brittle and useless. I was shocked, damn, realizing I will need to rebed each fitting with new sealant. errrr. When I got to the elbow engine return fitting I noticed that the fitting was loose, not even hand tight. It was literally 3/4 turn too loose. It was completely relying on the crappy sealant to secure an air tight connection. This is where I was getting the dribble. Since the return from engine could not produce air bubbles in the raycor I realized this was a multi-headed beast problem.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property

The air bubble problem:
So after rebeding all the fittings on the manifold I figured it would fix the problem. NOPE! Still air bubbles in the raycor. I then barrel barbed the "to engine" and the "from tank #1" line together. This would eliminate the manifold from the problem space. Did this fix the problem, NOPE! Shoot (I used a different word), it must be in the pickup from the tank. I needed advice so I called my fav boat yard tech from CSR marine, Tom. A very smart guy. He thought it would likely be the pickup BUT... there is a (tiny/cheap) fuel line shutoff valve at the top of the tank (pic below). He always thought it was of cheap design and worrisome. So I replaced it with a 1/4 npt to straight barb fitting. The shutoff valve did look cheap. And the sealant, like all the other fittings, was in horrible shape. Fingers crossed, with the "to engine" line connected directly to the new barb. Damn, it solved the problem. Sooo glad I did not have to pull the pickup out of the tank!!! Not sure if it was the sealant or the valve, don't care really.

QUESTION: What is the expected lifetime of sealant. I use the best Permatex stuff I can find. Shocking how the old sealant failed.

Brown Wood Sleeve Material property Door

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks for posting the follow up! Some never do but I'm sure it will be helpful and appreciated when someone is seeking similar information in the future.

As for the sealant, it's possible Beneteau just used whatever plumbing dope they had on the shelf the day they assembled your fuel system.

·
Administrator
8,345 Posts
Great follow-up. Nice to hear how you solved the problems so others can benefit from your "Shoots"!

Is it a US built Beneteau? Or French built? The fuel shut off looks similar, but not the same as mine, it looks smaller than mine.
That gunk around the thread does look terrible.

Hope its all good now :)

Mark

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great follow-up. Nice to hear how you solved the problems so others can benefit from your "Shoots"!

Is it a US built Beneteau? Or French built? The fuel shut off looks similar, but not the same as mine, it looks smaller than mine.
That gunk around the thread does look terrible.

Hope its all good now :)

Mark
This was built in Marion SC.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Assuming it's pipe dope and not sealant. I'd use gas rated teflon tape on the male threads and pipe dope on the female threads.

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming it's pipe dope and not sealant. I'd use gas rated teflon tape on the male threads and pipe dope on the female threads.
Interesting idea, will try that next time. In my research people were against teflon tape due to the possibility of clogging injectors. That is silly IMHO, and why I have a 10 micron and a 2 micron fuel filter inline. I use a a ton of teflon tape on my compressor fittings and it works great.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
One should be sure there is no tape past the end of the fitting. Still, there is no way it could pass the Racor. The gas rated tape is typically yellow, not the ubiquitous white stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts