SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day All,

I'm quitting my job and sailing the Bahamas this winter, or maybe to Australia if an opportunity pans out. (So, if you need any Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, or engineering consulting, let me know.)

But the important thing is that I have purchased an AIR-X Marine Wind Generator with the complete stern mount kit: mast, stays, mounts, etc. I've been staring at the stern for a couple of weeks now and amd still trying to determine how I want to install it.

Has anyone installed this or a similar generator setup and can offer any advice, pitfalls, or especially, pictures?

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say before I start putting holes in the deck.....

Cheers,

Ryan

S/V Argo
WDE3361
PCS37 #309

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I bolted the mast pole directly to the deck rather than using the bracket.

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Any zoomed-in pictures of the attachment? I've got a fourwinds to install and have the same install question.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Does this help?

Attachments

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Bene...on my Irwin, we installed the 4 winds pole to a bracket on the transom then attached two angled braces from points on the pole to the side and aft decks (plus two lower brackets to the pulpit). Rather than simply attach the angle braces we put the pole under some tension before tightening up the braces. This helps minimize any vibration and transmission of noise thru the hull and I think makes a discernable difference when down below.
We were quite happy with the 4 winds and I got roughly 60 amphrs a day from ours in the Bahamas over time. Obviously...some days we got none...other days we got all we could handle! Here's a pic...don't know if any of this is applicable to you or the air-x install but you may find something adaptable.
windy.JPG

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
PBzeer -- perfect reply in 8 minutes. That can't be beat. Is there a footing there that gets bolted down first, and then the mast gets bolted to it?

Cam -- Not sure how you got tension with that setup. Was the mast forced up against the transome so it had to flex? Or maybe it was forced againt the edge of the bracket on the transom, Thanks, since I never heard anything about having it under tension before.

I was thinking about using a thick enough mast so that it could be self standing. It would involve having it go through the top of the boat and then attaching it to the inside of the hull. Not sure though, it would take more research.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Bene...First...the base was a fixed attachment to the bottom of the mast. The attachments on the mast (and pushpit) were sliders so we pushed or pulled the mast just a little bit before we snugged each one down tightly so that there could be no "rattling around on the pole when the wind piped up. Hard to explain and I don't have any closeups but hope you get the gist of it. I think you will find that any pole will need to be braced to something higher up rather than purely self standing. Definitely through bolt the base plate to a backing plate.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Thanks, I think I got it. I didn't see the short arms going to the rail. That makes sense now.

I think I may go with a traditional setup. The forces involved in high winds must be significant, especially if the wind generator threw a blade in a storm. (Not sure if that happens ever.) If that were to happen I'd rather that some bolts break off than have the whole boat rattled apart.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
The mounting kit for the Air-X comes with a bracket to bolt to the deck, then bolt the pole to the bracket (one bolt). I left out the bracket (and the extra holes for it !) and bolted the pole directly to the deck.

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Install on Pac Sea 37?

Has anyone installed this on a Pacific Seacraft, expecially a 37? There's some specific arrangement issues associated with a double ender that I"m trying to sort through. It's pretty tight back there, and I have a backstay mounted gimballed radar.

Getting the required clearance, and keeping the generator pole mast stays away from running lines forward of the after turning blocks is going to be difficult. The propane locker is back there as well, only making it more difficult to get the stays foundated to the deck in a location where they don't foul with something.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
One example

Attached are two photos of the FourWinds III generator which came on the PSC 37 which we just purchased. The pole is simply lag bolted through (not sure what the bolts go) without any braces! While it may not be ideal it was professionally installed that way back in 1994 and has cruised over 60K miles in the interim. Jay, PSC 37

Attachments

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pics. The one thing that I can't get around is that my radar is gimballed, and there is virtually nowhere to mount the wind generator that won't foul the radar if the radar unit swings out.

The radar mount is a Questus, is anyone familiar with that, and if there's a way to lock it off?

I'm leaning towards locking or lashing the radar off for the short term, and then coming up with a more integrated system like shown in the pictures sometime when I have more time, money, and inclination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts