SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering is it possible to hang a airmar transducer off a pole of the back of the boat even though it is a thru hull. I'm going on a voyage for two weeks and I need a quick fix.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I don't think the electronics head on the through-hull versions is meant to be immersed.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Well I looked at the Airmar documentation and really am none the wiser as to whether they can be immersed or not!

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Can you fit it in-hull? A combination of toilet sealing wax and some duct tape will probably hold it for long enough.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If your hull is solid glass you can silicone in hull.
Have mine in place for years. Just make sure it is reading
and has no air/voids and stays in place until cured.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
No
ours was acting up so I tried a fishfinder transducer on a pole overboard. Did not work. You need to get it deep enough to be out of the turbulence from the boat and off the back it will ne significant. Maybe off the bow but I still suspect it will need to be deep, especially if you are in any choppy water. By the time you go thru all the rigging work you could ha e mounted a thru hull transducer for much less money and hassle

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you fit it in-hull? A combination of toilet sealing wax and some duct tape will probably hold it for long enough.
seems like my hull is to thick. My electronics guy says it won't work. Hull to thick I guess. It's a 45 ft coronado.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I put an emergency Humming bird type, @$$70-90 on 2x2 wood pole clamped to stern rail. This transducer has wire that is screwed to the wood with the transducer screwed to the bottom of wood & pointing in the correct direction. Has to be in the water a few inches. You can raise or lower as needed. WORKED FINE on sailboat ! You are not going 20.knts
......Main problem is transducer is 45ft back from the front . Mine was 30ft . But, using Chartplotter depts. & going slow in shallow areas was good.

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put an emergency Humming bird type, @$$70-90 on 2x2 wood pole clamped to stern rail. This transducer has wire that is screwed to the wood with the transducer screwed to the bottom of wood & pointing in the correct direction. Has to be in the water a few inches. You can raise or lower as needed. WORKED FINE on sailboat ! You are not going 20.knts
......Main problem is transducer is 45ft back from the front . Mine was 30ft . But, using Chartplotter depts. & going slow in shallow areas was good.
I'm gonna give it a try. I'll keep you informed

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can hang it over the back. That is specifically mentioned in the installation test instructions. Sure you don't want it just behind the keel though that is presumably impossible anyway. After all most power boats attach their fishfinder transducer to the transom protruding an inch or so below the surface.
There is a limit on the thickness of the hull it can shoot through and no wood core. From memory of a few years ago I think it may be 1" but it is on the airmar site. I would check this and your hull structure rather than just rely on someone.
You may find that the lead is not long enough to go over the transom.
It is a bit of a pain to fit one depending on the boat because of the need to be clear of the keel and the angle of the hull. You may have flatter sections aft than I did. But it is not that bad once you figure it out.

·
713 Posts
seems like my hull is to thick. My electronics guy says it won't work. Hull to thick I guess. It's a 45 ft coronado.

I put a garmin in hull in a Pearson 424 where the hull was angled pretty good and 1+ inch thick (I think more like 1.25) and it worked very well to 800 feet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts