SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
You don't mention whether you have tried connecting it to a Chart Plotter yet. I take it you might be bench testing this? Connecting it to a Chart Plotter via the Nav Out Data connection would be a good place to start as far as seeing AIS Targets. That would rule out any problems with the unit and antenna. You won't need the GPS IN Data yet, at least not until you want others to see where you are.

I recently assembled a small PC for the boat, but I made sure that the Motherboard had a legacy Serial Port so that I didn't have to mess with Serial to USB converters. I know me bragging about my PC doesn't help your current situation, but if you have a Desktop PC you could buy an add in Serial PCI(E) card. If it's a Laptop does it have a PC Card Slot? I use a Serial PC Card in my laptop for serial connections with OBD Diagnostics Connectors and Software for my cars. It seems to work well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also your unit has a built in Power Divider/Splitter for connecting to a VHF Radio and a single Antenna. I'm curious as to how well that functions.

My Simrad stuff came from the factory installed with a splitter and single antenna. It seems to work fine but I am considering running another cable and antenna when I finally get the courage to scale the mast to install a TV and WIFI antenna. I agree two separate are better, and I'm most concerned about the lessened VHF Radio Reception and Transmission, the AIS I could care less about, it is really a nice to have but not a need to have. Another 100ft of coax and an antenna isn't going to break me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.