SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can buy this yacht, but wondering at a price I should offer.

It is an Alan Payne 38' steel "Koonya" design.
It has been sand blasted and painted on exterior.
New rigging.
New stainless fittings.
No rust anywhere externally including the deck.

The previous owner passed away after stripping the interior.
Apparently the motor was working 3 or 4 years ago.
Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft Plant
Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft Plant
Cloud Sky Watercraft Boat Blue
Rectangle Wood Gas Tints and shades Shade
Sky Tire Vehicle Blue Car

·
Registered
969 Posts
What are they asking for it? Looks like it's worth rebuilding if you're looking for a project boat. Offer $5k? You could find a steel hull ready to sail for much less than it will cost to put this one back in action.

"Apparently the motor was working 3 or 4 years ago" means they don't know anything about it. Best case it hasn't been run in 3 years and requires a full rebuild. Just as likely he was trying to get it started 3 years ago and never could.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Sweet. I did not see an engine.
Can you make it a floating sailing cruising boat for under 50,000.00$
I set that goal as you can get a cruising living well kept boat that LOA in the 50K area. Electronics winches systems rudder control look grim, upholstery, sails rigging, motor transmission shaft prop fridge stove potty. Mega bucks!

Buy it restored from some one else for 35,000$

I watched a man on airport road build a 45’ twin mast steel boat. He was a master carpenter. The interior was a zillion drawers. He spent around 85,000 to build it. But that did not include the interior wood likely another 6,000.00 The diesel a huge cost. Rigging two masts and winches add up too. He welded up the hull in 8 days using a backho as a crane to hold the first plates.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Den
A lot of unknowns here.
As you mentioned
Electronics?
Sails?
Deck gear?
Fuel and water tanks, the list goes on.
Also engine.
PLUS time. .
There is a lot of work to be done on the interior, Don't kid yourself. To have it done professionally would make the boat a big hole in the water that you will pour money into and never ever ever get back. If you have the skill and tools to do the interior it would be a 3 to 5 year job part time.

I suggest you save your money and get something floating in your price range.

PS It might be rust free now (though I doubt it) but just wait until it has been in the water for 3 or 4 years.

gary

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There is a lit of similarity between that boat and mine which was designed by Alan PAPE.

And tumblehome and the tiller and the bow are all very similar.

A boat like this is a special thing, which means the owner needs to be as eclectic as the boat, and there needs to be a good match between the Owners needs and the boats capabilities.

IF the hull is in good shape you have the possibility if building a very stable, comfortable, liveaboard platform that can take you anywhere. Very roomy, big tankage, will lay well to a mooring or anchor.

It will be a tremendous labor of love and adventure to make this happen.

SoYOU need to be a boat builder who will transition to liveaboard adventurer. If that fits you make sure the hull is not too far gone. Then the next thing is to look at the INTERIOR paint, that is the boats greatest weakness. Look for any areas that can collect water, eliminate them.

IF you go ahead assure you have decent access to all areas of the hull below water so that they may be maintained.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Time doesn’t count. Falls under art and love. It’s healthy for you if you wear a mask and goggles.
I recently saw a 37Jeaneau 2 Cabin, as I recall had lovely fresh canvas burgundy. Clean teak interior. New BG instruments with auto pilot. New Sails 2018. 1999 asking 54,000 USD. For the condition and up keep on this boat it was a buy. Rochester NY. Reasonable loved boats are a plenty.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You ask “What price?”

That is a difficult question. My guidance would be somewhere around $5,000 US.

Thereal question is “What will someone else pay for it?” That answer is clearly “Not much.”

I am speaking from a USA perspective so things may be different for you. Americans are generally allergic to steel. Here you would be doing well to give it away. Very likely you would have to pay to dispose of it. There is some value in scrap.

Think if it from the CURRENT owners perspective; likely he has no desire for the boat but it is a liability. Likely he has to pay storage fees. All that loose kit has no value ti another boat. Non-self tailing winches winches place this boat as early 80’s at the youngest, and you don’t want them either. The davits may have some value on another boat. Most if the reat either goes on this boat or is trash.

See if you can find out what the estate owes in yard fees and what your yard fees would be to keep it there long term and if they will let you continue to work in it.

I would open negotiations by offering to pay the yard fees, if they aren’t too much.

This is not to disparage that boat, you see value and I can understand that. But you are not negotiating with you, you are negotiating with them, they are unlikely to see the value but will surely see the liability.

Beat of luck, please report back.

PS:
An old thread here may be of some interest.

·
Banned
250 Posts
I bought a 1986 Donzi with a 454 Merc for $5,000.00 off an insurance company. I had a cruiser didn’t need a boat but the Donzi 18 i way too much fun to pass up. It was a corpse.
It had a hole on the port side near the bow where the rock meeting boat ejected both passengers. The boat dragged on to land after sinking was left in a Canadian winter to crack the engines heads and exhaust. The red and white upholstery ruined and some A hole stole the steering wheel.
I never liked Rodchester Carbs or Cast Iron heads so the engine was a pleasure to put on my bench. I saved the block crank rods and pistons. Scrapped the rest. Just a touch over 500hp finished 4400 rpm. The Hull systems West. Baking soda blast 3 coats DuPont acrylic primer. DuPont white and BMW Imola Red twin stripe. Bottom paint was red came out orange.
Upholstery I had done. Custom bow dry locker and Bose sound system. The stern drive needed much love so I sold it as parts and switched to a Speedmaster 2. Foolishly I sold it fully capable of out running any new Donzi 18-24. I lost money at the end of the day but I did get over 72knots per hour. After looking at the Hanse 508 I stumbled down the show floor and was stunned to see Donzi ( their sixth owner ) the 18 was $127,000.00 CDN, the Hanse was $1,309,000.00 so I bought a zodia in a bag. Free trade with Europe is awesome

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
That is a plus. There are some older winches under the bow, on the rack. These look new or nearly so.

The engine may look shabby but still be retrievable. The good news is you have great access to repair or replace. The hull around the engine also looks good. I assume there is just some oil in the pan underneath.

Any luck negotiating price?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not made an offer as yet.
I figure if I offered $5,000 I could sell the parts for that at a pinch.
There is a big tradesmans toolbox under the hull full of tools that would be worth a bit, besides anything else.
When I visited a week ago I asked the yard owner if $15,000 would get the boat and he lit up like he'd just won Lotto.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Couple of things to remember. Steel boats don't rust from the outside, they rust from the inside. Those panels of foam you see in the pictures are totally bad news. The hull gets cold and condensation gets trapped between the hull and the insulation rusting out the boat. The interior should be spray foamed after a good paint job. That would best be done by sand blasting the interior as there really isn't a good way to prepare the surface with all those edges. IF you were to complete it you'd have a real safe world cruiser. If you gutted the interior then paid someone to sandblast, paint and then foam, you'd have a boat, the rest could be done while in the water I would think. Get bogged down on those items and you may never see her afloat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts