SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions on good guide books or other support materials for the inside passage? If all goes well then we will be heading up next summer and we are beginning to put the materials together?

Otherwise, any thoughts on the trip from those that have made it? So far, talking to those I know that have done it, the common theme seems to be light wind and strong currents.

Thanks!

EDIT: :eek: Any admins wanna move this to General? I would have sworn that's where I put this. Hey, where are my keys...

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Anyone have suggestions on good guide books or other support materials for the inside passage? If all goes well then we will be heading up next summer and we are beginning to put the materials together?

Get all the books you can, they all have different info. in them. Waggoner, Dream Speaker (I think that's the name), Canadian current tables (remember that they are in STANDARD time), Coast Pilot, etc.

Otherwise, any thoughts on the trip from those that have made it? So far, talking to those I know that have done it, the common theme seems to be light wind and strong currents.

Except when there are strong winds and strong currents :)) (Johnstone St) Just pick your weather when making the open water crossings (Pt. Caution, Dixon) and you should have a great trip.

Thanks!

EDIT: :eek: Any admins wanna move this to General? I would have sworn that's where I put this. Hey, where are my keys...
I haven't done it (yet) in the sailboat, just a fishing boat, and we didn't stop to anchor so I can't make any recommendations north of the Broughtons. Not sure where you anchor in Granville Ch. and you can't make it in one day so you should check into that.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done it (yet) in the sailboat, just a fishing boat, and we didn't stop to anchor so I can't make any recommendations north of the Broughtons. Not sure where you anchor in Granville Ch. and you can't make it in one day so you should check into that.
I will check into it. Thanks. I have been up and down the Alaska portion in ferries, jets, small boats and super cubs and everything in between. I can't wait to get to spend some time for a change and not just speed by. :(

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Only a couple of wide open spots. .like Milbank. and Dixon Haven't been up since '81 but it's just a lot of channel after channel. I only traveled in daylight and anchored every night. The tides can be contrary and strong so tide book is important. Now with AIS it takes a lot of the nervous out of it. Got up to Skagway a couple of times and wouldn't bother doing it again Better cruising in BC. where the winds come up by noon or so ,,,early starts. edit Iv'e still got paper charts of route ,,,Offers?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't sail yet working on doc and wife. Just came off of my third time to Alaska on a cruise ship. Most seem to run hard at night when most passengers are asleep so sailing at night if you are not on your toes can be bad. Only seen one sail boat in a total of a week. 7 nights and 2 days of cruising, port during the day. Don’t think much of the towns, cruise ships visit, but Alaska is beautiful. Did the Alaskan Train and my grandson thought that was the best part of the 2 weeks in Alaska.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. The chart link is great Jackdale! Is there a NOAA equivalent for free digital downloads of raster files? Looks like you pay a dealer for the files?

Thanks for the cruising guide recommendations. I will definitely pick them up. Ours for PWS is indispensable. It found me an anchorage this weekend when everywhere else was crowded because the charts show it as almost inaccessible. Cruising guide shows how to get in. Dang handy and had it all to myself. I would see folks come in, look and turn around.

The cruises do run mostly at night. Gotta watch out coming into Whittier in the evening here as they are on the way out. Good point. I lived on the train route for many years. Quite pretty.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Made the trip via solo motorcycle to Alaska several years back. Saw more wild life up and personal then most don't see in a lifetime ,including an incounter with a wolf (story in its self)..So took the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry system on the return to Port Rupert,BC picked up the BC Ferry to Vancouver Island and then the Black Ball Ferry to Port Angeles,Washington.

Alaska Ferry, Alaska Inside Passage Ferries, Ferries Seattle to Anchorage, Alaska Tours, Alaska Ferry Cruises & Alaska Vacations, Viking Travel

..definitely a trip of a lifetime

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. The chart link is great Jackdale! Is there a NOAA equivalent for free digital downloads of raster files? Looks like you pay a dealer for the files?
Canadian charts do cost.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Did Kenai around to Valdez during the oil spill but trucked in from Whitehorse. (42 ft landing craft) Looked closely a couple of times at summer crossings for various deliveries but no cigar. Long ways but doable . Some amazing wild country. Sven on North Star has cruised to Dutch Harbour (coming from Tuk)and Kodiak a couple of times but that's out of my comfort zone . http://www.northstarofherschelisland.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts