SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sabre owners have a pretty active presence on a Yahoo Group. Own a Sabre 28 mk II. Have found it to be a cut above the typical West Coast boat like the Erickson. They seem to have a reputation as a better quality boat reflected in the prices asked. Am extremely happy with the way my S28 behaves. Easy on the helm, always in control and capable of very nice daily runs. Averaged better than 7kts over the bottom for one 24 hour stretch on the delivery. Sabre is still in business though now making power boats exclusively. There are still people at the company from their sailboat days who can help you out with questions that might come up. The only major issue I've heard of is a mast stop reinforcement problem on some of the models. They apparently used a plywood reinforcement that can delaminate if allowed to come in regular contact with water. Don't know which models or what the repair entails if there's been a problem. One other issues, they fell victim to the yuppie demand for wheels so hard to find one with a tiller, got lucky with mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you so much for all the Info, I found a Ericson 38 on our price range close to where my Mother leaves in Florida( We leave in MA), is a big difference between the 38-200 vs the 38?

Is not ideal for us to get a boat down South, but could be possible if is a great deal. I have being looking for some sabre here and found a few on a price range even a bristol 35.5 in Boston that seems in good condition.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thank you so much for all the Info, I found a Ericson 38 on our price range close to where my Mother leaves in Florida( We leave in MA), is a big difference between the 38-200 vs the 38?

Is not ideal for us to get a boat down South, but could be possible if is a great deal. I have being looking for some sabre here and found a few on a price range even a bristol 35.5 in Boston that seems in good condition.
The Ericson 38 hull never changed, but there were two iterations of the original (head and separate shower stall forward) interior layout, and the popular aft cabin, shower, and head re-design in the model 38-200 that became really popular. For a while in mid 80's, they were building both versions.

I have done an overnight delivery in a 38-200. "Soft" comfortable and quiet motion in 5 foot seas and it maintained 8 kts for hours -- sail or motoring.

Happy shopping!
:)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts