SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding this 1960's little classic to my list of boats but know very little about them, in fact; I never heard of the South Coast models until this little charmer popped up on my radar.

That being said, I am a little nervous about the lack of support and knowledge out there (and I would imagine parts and fixtures as well). Given the boat's lack of popularity and low manufacturing numbers, there don't seem to be many owners out there and the owner's association link is now defunct.

Does anyone out there know where to point me to gain information and support should I move forward with this little boat? I had tons of information and help out there with my Sabre, Catalina, Albin Vega and C&C 27....I hear crickets when I mention the South Coast 23'

Thanks for any help or information you may be able to offer

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,957 Posts
South Coast Seacraft was a reasonably popular brand in the mid-1960's. Like many of the smaller brands of that and later eras, South Coast did not actually build the boats or did not entirely build their own boats. Instead, South Coast had contract builders who would supply the fiberglass parts and in some cases these contract facilities would build the entire boats. In the case of the South Coast 23, the hulls and decks were built by Kenner. Kenner later built a modified version called the Kittiwake. The Kittiwake were built in very large numbers.

The boats were designed by Carl Alberg. Carl was the go-to designer for any new company looking to buy a design cheaply. Carl had been retired when Pearson went to him and made a deal for the Triton. His deals typically was a small upfront fee and royalties on each boat. That made him popular with start up builders who were strapped for cash. His designs were pretty mediocre (or worse) compared to many (if not most) designers of that era. His design ideas were already pretty much out of date by the time these boats were designed, but he was cheap to hire, had a recognizable name, and was associated with some of the designs by John Alden and so was used a lot.

As far as user groups and obtaining parts, there should be some information available among Kenner owners, but most of the hardware companies and tooling for any of the boats from the 1960's is pretty much non-existent. Owning one of these older boats generally means being able to do reverse engineer and build or substitute new parts anything that is at end of life.

In terms of sailing ability, like most of Alberg's designs, the South Coast 23 make a decent daysailer in a venue with minimal chop and predominant 10-12 knot wind conditions. They do not do well in light air or heavy air, and are ill suited to handling choppy conditions with grace.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Reactions: scurvy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts