·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Rudderless Wonder
Morgan 382
28 Posts
Read this article this morning. It seemed to me like they just had no clue keeping their sails up in 40+ kt winds!

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read this article this morning. It seemed to me like they just had no clue keeping their sails up in 40+ kt winds!
Which article did you read? Link?

The reports is that they are from Calgary - I do not know them.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Newspaper reports about sailboat issues are rarely accurate or complete. From this article it is very hard to know exactly what happened. Not that familiar with the area between Mexico and Hawaii but I would have thought the water warm enough that hypothermia would not have been an issue in that time frame.

Then of course, there is the whole issue of people from Calgary sailing at all - they should be riding horses. :)

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then of course, there is the whole issue of people from Calgary sailing at all - they should be riding horses. :)
The vast majority of my clients / students are from Calgary, even on courses that I had no part in organizing. About 50% of boat slips in BC belong to Albertans. Calgary and Edmonton are common ports of call on transoms. It leads to some interesting comments.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
The weather here in Hawaii has been severe the last couple days. We have a swell from Alaska area causing 20 foot + seas and on top of that a 18 foot + wind swell. Rouge waves could be close to 40 feet and breaking. On top of that the waves are coming from different directions.

This type of conditions would strain almost any sailor. Even at the dock your boat is at risk. Been checking mine and others on the dock 2x a day. Yesterday a 40 foot fishing boat broke 1-1/2 dock line and was ready to bang the boat next to it- tied it off again. Also helped friend secure her 40 footer as two 1 inch dock lines had broken. This is all due to high winds and wave surge. I understand on Maui 3 boats have broken moorings and run aground, along with a commercial sailing catamaran whom lost engine going into channel.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Newspaper reports about sailboat issues are rarely accurate or complete. From this article it is very hard to know exactly what happened. Not that familiar with the area between Mexico and Hawaii but I would have thought the water warm enough that hypothermia would not have been an issue in that time frame.

Water temp in that area less than 75 deg F. With wind chill and your head wet you would not last long.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The weather here in Hawaii has been severe the last couple days. We have a swell from Alaska area causing 20 foot + seas and on top of that a 18 foot + wind swell. Rouge waves could be close to 40 feet and breaking. On top of that the waves are coming from different directions.

This type of conditions would strain almost any sailor. Even at the dock your boat is at risk. Been checking mine and others on the dock 2x a day. Yesterday a 40 foot fishing boat broke 1-1/2 dock line and was ready to bang the boat next to it- tied it off again. Also helped friend secure her 40 footer as two 1 inch dock lines had broken. This is all due to high winds and wave surge. I understand on Maui 3 boats have broken moorings and run aground, along with a commercial sailing catamaran whom lost engine going into channel.
Thanks Casey

Nasty

Do you have any updates?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Thanks Casey

Nasty

Do you have any updates?
Last couple days a cold front has passed through which gave the unusally high velocity northwest wind direction. Today winds will beome lighter trades (north east) but the large north swell will continue for the next several days, although slightly smaller. Then Monday anther big 20 foot swell coming in from Alaska, but with normal trade winds. Note that a 20 foot open ocean swell generally makes a 40 foot wave face when it breaks on shore. These are the same wave trains that Washington and Oregon get.
More details:
http://mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/557925/Winds-send-boats-to-shore.html?nav=10

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Brad sounds like quite a Captain (women and children first)- I know of a cruise line looking for a few good men!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Hard to tell what kind of boat it is, might be an older Swan with the blue stripe and teak deck.

Jack I know a perfectly good reason for having Edmonton or Calgary on the transom - tried to arrange it for my boat too. Also nice to see you rise to the bait. :)

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
19,489 Posts
Hard to tell what kind of boat it is, might be an older Swan with the blue stripe and teak deck.
.. or perhaps an early Bavaria, and some of the CT boats had that similar 'swan-ie" look and trim...

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Jack if you look at the photo on the link that Casey posted there is teak on the deck and on the cabin top too. Maybe they got the boat pictures switched along the way.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 62 Posts