SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one owned one?

Designed by Phil Rhodes around 1966. All aluminum, 12 feet long, about 225 pounds maximum payload 630 pounds.

Foam between sole and hull gives some ballast and supposedly reduces risk of turtling in a capsize. Aluminum centreboard and rudder (I think). About 100 square feet of sail area. Self bailing cockpit.

Nice little storage cubby under spray deck self bailing cockpit, fractional sloop.

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Any way. One followed me home today. 1966 I beleive based on hull number.

~$500 USd. Including trailer and 4 never been used sails including main with reef points and single line reefing set up, working jib, Genoa and self tacking jib, paddles anchor and spare tire. Hull is solid, rig is solid. Boat needs nothing but a new plug. Original aluminum centreboard and rudder. Going to take her sailing tomorrow.

Not sure why I bought her. Felt like having a little dinghy that I can be hard on.
20200911_172759.jpg
20200911_164724.jpg
20200911_164707.jpg
20200911_173236.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I video'd a walk around of the boat.

The only thing she was missing was the cockpit self draining plugs, so I fashioned some out of laundry detergent lids, shock cord and butyl tape.

All loaded up with beach towels and an over flowing picnic basket. Going to take her for a rip with the kids down the river to the next village.

Btw, found her Portsmouth rating. She rates about the same as a Mirror or Oday Wigeon, so might be able to do some Portsmouth racing with her next season with my 6 yo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sweet sailing boat. Really sweet. She surprised me. Accelerated well. Made good progress to windward even in flukey river winds with 4 on board. Stable once the sails were up (a bit tippy at dock).

A bit awkward at first with 4 on board a 12 foot boat, but a few tacks in, every one was finding their comfortable positions.

There was just enough wind in the gusts for my wife and 6 year old to get a taste for hiking. Both liked it, but I think the 6 yo is hooked.

We sailed about 4 hours then dropped the 5 lb Bruce and had a lazy picnic; buns, cream cheese, kielbasa, butter tarts and sparkling water.

Didn't bring an outboard and didn't need a paddle.

This boat is going to be a keeper!
Screenshot_20200912-153433_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
(y)(y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took her out for a spin today from my town boat launch. Wind was weird. 10 gusting to 20. River is only 300 feet across so no sea state. Wanted to test out how she sailed reefed down. Went with single reefed main and working jib. Was too little sail for the conditions and I found my self kind of squatting centre line a lot.

Only my 3rd day owning the boat, so need to work on technique etc, but she sailed pretty well in spite of my rusty ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts