SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Frank:

We own hull 24, my sister bought 37 and we have met the owners of 10, 11 and 19. 19, Juno, is now sailing around the Greek Isles, I believe. Someday Came is about to be splashed.

Allan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Allan. Terrific to hear from you - and that you are in touch with others (let alone 2 in one family!)
My boat is currently called 'Second Wind' previously it had the names 'Goodness' and originally was Jeremiah. I will be renaming her "Louisianna".
I bought her last summer in Florida and sailed her offshore to NYC and up the Hudson and Erie Canals to Lake Ontario. (Toronto area).
Plan is to keep her here close to home for a number of years before heading out again.
She is hull number 25 and according to Neils Helleberg design number 1036Z.
Sounds like yours and mine may have spent some time together in '82 & '83 as they were likely both under construction at the same time...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alden 44

Did a discussion board for Alden 44 owners ever get started? We are shopping for a family boat and this one is high on our list. I wonder if there are specific things to look for, esp in the earlier boats. Questions that I can think of are: did Alden ever run into problems with their resins in the early 80's like Valliant did and are their high cost repairs these boats might be needing that I might not think about (excluding obvious things like hours on the engine and age of the rigging). One post suggested contacting Bill Seifert. Does anyone know contact information for him"
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this site
We have recently become owners of Cariad, I believe hull number 21. Although we live in the Maritimes, the boat, now named Robert Clyde, is on the west coast, BC. Built 1982-3 and well maintained by her previous and only owner. It is a delight to sail, and we are making minor repairs as they become necessary. There were some cosmetic blisters on the hull,below water line, these were repaired prior to our purchase.
Bill Siefert is the man to contact about this type of boat. First, read his book,Offshore Sailing, even if you think you know it all, this will open your eyes to many great ideas. He is glad to help and answers my questions quickly. He runs a consulting business with regards to sailing and his advice is worth the cost.
I will keep up some posts as we get more experience on this lovely boat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started this thread 3 years ago and I was kind of surprised to see a new post when I logged on this evening.

I own hull #4, Puffin, berthed in Pt Richmond Ca (San Francisco Bay).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our family bought the boat (second hand) in the late 80s. We actively sailed it and took very good care of her. My father died in the late 90's. Since then its been hard to think about selling it. The boat has been out of the water since about 2000, in the yard. Top sides were awl griped blue in 2003 or so, but the boat was never splashed (though every other year the yard sticks the boat in the water to run the engine for a bit) It has full set of sails, electronics, etc. It needs some good cleaning inside and out, plus some teak work. I truly love this boat, but I live in the mid-west now so its hard to justify owning it, and moving it to lake Michigan would be a sin given her blue water heritage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Our family bought the boat (second hand) in the late 80s. We actively sailed it and took very good care of her. My father died in the late 90's. Since then its been hard to think about selling it. The boat has been out of the water since about 2000, in the yard. Top sides were awl griped blue in 2003 or so, but the boat was never splashed (though every other year the yard sticks the boat in the water to run the engine for a bit) It has full set of sails, electronics, etc. It needs some good cleaning inside and out, plus some teak work. I truly love this boat, but I live in the mid-west now so its hard to justify owning it, and moving it to lake Michigan would be a sin given her blue water heritage.
Can you email me at [email protected]?

·
Registered
1 Posts
aldden 44

Hi Jcarterwil,
I noticed your post concerning your Alden 44 that might be for sale. They are on my short list for replacing our beloved Alajuela 38 with something bigger.

Please note, I am not a broker but a private individual in St. Petersburg.

Let me know if she's still for sale. I can be reached at 727-525-4700 in the day. [email protected] by email.
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Alden 44
2 Posts
Hello, is anyone there?
We just purchased hull #36. Used to be named Exile, but we have renamed her Thistle. We plan to spend a year or so refurbishing her, then go cruising again. We'd love to share information with other Alden 44 owners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats. I had the opportunity to look at Exile a couple of years ago. Beautiful boat. I think they were asking a bit more and I was not yet ready to pull the trigger anyhow. I esp like this layout with two berths in the aft cabin.

·
Alden 44
2 Posts
We first looked at Exile in January. Then we went back East and looked at a 46, a 48, and two more 44s. Then we added in the cost of trucking one of them to the Bay Area and came back here and bought Exile.

We are very pleased with her and impressed with the construction and quality of the finish and equipment. But the systems are complex and under every floorboard is a snarl of wires, hoses, pumps, and strainers. The boat has the main engine, a generator, refrigeration, two heater/air conditioners, water heater and accumulator tank, two fuel tanks with senders, two water tanks with senders, a holding tank with lots of valves, a washdown pump, electric winches, electric windless, a 110 system, a 220 inverter, and a propane stove with sniffer, safety switch, and thermocouples on every burner. It's been a steep learning curve!

We are slowly cleaning every locker and under the floorboards and taking photos of everything because the original blueprints that came with the boat aren't exactly how it was done. We are presently doing an engine service which is also helping us to figure out where everything is. The only really troubling thing we have found so far is some rust and rot on the plate that the helm bolts to. It's way back under the cockpit floor behind the removable lazarette dividers so I can understand why it wasn't noted in the survey. We will have to replace that before we go offshore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts