SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Robert Redford has started filming the sequel to "All is Lost". Apparently the single handed sailor has learned somthing from his first voyage, and is now well prepared.

Here is the trailer:

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
re: "All is Lost" Movie Sequel

That is hysterical.

All through it I was wondering who would spend the money to make a film like that.

Then at the end you see the punch line.

Very well done.

·
Registered
41 Posts

That watch only has a range of 90 nautical miles off shore. I think they were working on a low orbit satellite version that would work anywhere in the world, but I don't know if it ever made it to market

·
Banned
17,467 Posts

At least this sequel had dialog. Although I'm pretty sure it was Swahili. I didn't understand a word.

·
Registered
311 Posts

That watch only has a range of 90 nautical miles off shore. I think they were working on a low orbit satellite version that would work anywhere in the world, but I don't know if it ever made it to market
I think this is the new version with satellite support. IIRC the prior version was just a radio beacon and operated differently, but this is the '2' that supposedly has satellite support.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Found this on the net:
" Brietling Emergency transmits on 121.5 MHz, Cospas-Sarsat satellites do not monitor this frequency any longer."

But hey with that watch you could probably pick up some chicks at the bar, tell a story how your boat sunk while your were single handing and struck a container...........

·
Registered
845 Posts

For those out there that will spare no expense for safety! How much is your life worth? Here that alot here.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts

Must be my browser's security settings. All these video boxes are coming up as just play gray boxes that do nothing these days.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts

I'm still waiting for Titanic2: He Clung to Driftwood. (Leo's a busy man these days.)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

For those out there that will spare no expense for safety! How much is your life worth? Here that alot here.
Alive I am worth about $8,500. Dead my wife would get $250,000. So I guess I am not buying the watch...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Found this on the net:
" Brietling Emergency transmits on 121.5 MHz, Cospas-Sarsat satellites do not monitor this frequency any longer."

But hey with that watch you could probably pick up some chicks at the bar, tell a story how your boat sunk while your were single handing and struck a container...........
Let me correct above, the new Emergency II by Brietling has both the 121.5 and 406 Mghz e-pirb, so if you have the cash to spare, it would be cool to have while you are sailing you 65 foot swan.
More info:
http://www.gizmag.com/breitling-emergency-2/27364/

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts

"Alive I am worth about $8,500."
Yes and no. If you have a US passport, that can be sold for at least $25,000. Your identity can be sold for at least $10,000 if your credit history is fairly clean. Then there's your heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, a batch of other stuff...a fast hundred grand for the major parts, unless you've got major problems.
You may not be alive once you've been parted out, but folks prefer to buy living donors, so the goods are fresh.

See? You're worth more than you think.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

"Alive I am worth about $8,500."
Yes and no. If you have a US passport, that can be sold for at least $25,000. Your identity can be sold for at least $10,000 if your credit history is fairly clean. Then there's your heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, a batch of other stuff...a fast hundred grand for the major parts, unless you've got major problems.
You may not be alive once you've been parted out, but folks prefer to buy living donors, so the goods are fresh.

See? You're worth more than you think.
Correction:
Alive $135 K
Dead $250 K
I'll keep a close eye on the wife...and I won't be expecting the watch for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

I'm still waiting for Titanic2: He Clung to Driftwood. (Leo's a busy man these days.)
Your wish is my command....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Guys,

You're just not understanding the value proposition: the watch has a chronometer which means you can junk the chart plotters and gps and return to position finding using a sextant. It's the ultimate neo-retro watch -- the state-of-the-art technology facilitating a return to navigation as it was meant to be practiced. The "Emergency II" also has a 406 MHz transmitter, so it's a replacement for the EPIRB as well.

Value proposition: eliminate the GPS $350; eliminate the chart plotter $3000; eliminate the EPIRB $700 (note we're getting close to the price of one of these beauties used on eBay); stylish watch to show off in the beach bar in Guadeloupe where monokini clad French girls abound -- Priceless!

Get with it, dudes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts