SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that my boat is on the hard, far, far, from any pump out station, is there any way to pump out the holding tank? I'm looking to remove the old holding tank and very unfortunately for me, the PO never pumped out the tank. I'd hate to remove the fittings and have to deal with PO poo poo. :puke

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Get a septic company that does portable toilets to pump it via vacuum truck, you'll want to flush the tank with fresh water a few times too if you can.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
If the hoses go into the top of the tank, as they should?

Disconnect or cut the hoses well above the top of the tank, then clamp, tie, or tape some old tire inner tube over the end of the hose. (Free from a local tire shop that has changed them for a puncture.)

Now remove the whole thing, as is, and dispose of it.

You can also pour in a bottle of bleach before you start, if you want to make sure that any "yuch" is just a matter of dirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Right i have done the same but used wooden plugs for the hose ends with a clap then pulled out tank with hose attached ..

I have also done this in the winter in below freezing temp and with the antifreeze in the lines keeps it firm too .

good luck , easy when you think it out and prep the job first , a wet vac close by is good to have too . no spilling is the key

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I agree with HelloSailor, if you're going to replace the tank, and if the hoses aren't somewhat new, just disconnect the hoses from where they attach to the boat and remove it all at once. Then start over with everything clean. Plus, the hoses will give you a little more "room" to avoid spilling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One other thought on this. Think about the size of the tank and how much might be in it. I would hate to wrestle a tank with say 10 gallons of goo in it. Which could add up to 8 pounds per gallon. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
547 Posts
One other thought on this. Think about the size of the tank and how much might be in it. I would hate to wrestle a tank with say 10 gallons of goo in it. Which could add up to 8 pounds per gallon. Just a heads up.
+1 on this. Wrestling 100+ lbs of sh*t out of the bottom of a boat and down 10' to the ground is a no-win proposition.

Many marinas use rolling dock cart pumpouts. Any of those nearby? Failing that, I'd leave it until you're back in the water.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Given that my boat is on the hard, far, far, from any pump out station, is there any way to pump out the holding tank? I'm looking to remove the old holding tank and very unfortunately for me, the PO never pumped out the tank. I'd hate to remove the fittings and have to deal with PO poo poo. :puke

Any ideas?
You could also try to siphon it out with a garden hose into some kind of container. As long as the exit end is lower than the intake end, it should work!:D

You can start the siphon, by drawing on this hose with your mouth....:eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I pretty sure the yard I store my boat at uses a shop vac to empty tanks. They charge a lot because no one wants to do the job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the tank should still be good unless it leaks ..if you pull it just wash it out with white vinager or bleach ..good as new ..theres probably build up on the bottom maybe

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
+1 on this. Wrestling 100+ lbs of sh*t out of the bottom of a boat and down 10' to the ground is a no-win proposition.
What he said.

I would definately want to empty, flush, empty, bleach, and empty before trying to remove the tank. I love the septic truck or honey bucket truck idea. If you're willing to get your hands dirty, you could possibly pump it out into buckets using one of these. Then throw everything, including the vac, away at the end. This is much easier if there is an inspection port in the tank, but you might be able to pump it out the deck plate.

Search for bucket top shop vac.

MedSailor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts