SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will resist the urge to turn this thread into a Raymarine rant. I have sent my Type 2 mechanical rotary drive unti back 4 times to be fixed. it keeps failing the same way: chewed up planetary gears. When I disassembled it myself the last time, I found that these gears were HDPE...plastic! Raymarine swears up and down that the drive unit is sized appropriately for my boat but I feel the rudder torque of the unbalancd rudder, combined with a pretty powerful sailplan are just overpowering it.

It's time to upgrade, both in size of the unit and (hopefully) in brand. The easy fix is the Raymarine Type 3 Linear Hydraulic. The website claims it's good for a boat to 77,000lb displacement which should handle my 44,000lbs (the type 2 is rated for a boat to 48,000lbs). However, I would like to explore other options.

I know that Raymarine uses Seatalk for its instruments but I believe that it is just electrical signals to the clutch that run an autopilot drive, so I could mix and match here. Does anyone have experience with a different drive unit? corepoack is S3G? Any recommendations on a burly, no-frills brand of unit? Simrad looks nice but, man, for a price!

Thanks!

·
19,488 Posts
I know some are happy with the autohelm from CPT.. but I don't see an underdeck drive option..

CPT Autopilot Inc.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I will resist the urge to turn this thread into a Raymarine rant. I have sent my Type 2 mechanical rotary drive unti back 4 times to be fixed. it keeps failing the same way: chewed up planetary gears. When I disassembled it myself the last time, I found that these gears were HDPE...plastic! Raymarine swears up and down that the drive unit is sized appropriately for my boat but I feel the rudder torque of the unbalancd rudder, combined with a pretty powerful sailplan are just overpowering it.

It's time to upgrade, both in size of the unit and (hopefully) in brand. The easy fix is the Raymarine Type 3 Linear Hydraulic. The website claims it's good for a boat to 77,000lb displacement which should handle my 44,000lbs (the type 2 is rated for a boat to 48,000lbs). However, I would like to explore other options.

I know that Raymarine uses Seatalk for its instruments but I believe that it is just electrical signals to the clutch that run an autopilot drive, so I could mix and match here. Does anyone have experience with a different drive unit? corepoack is S3G? Any recommendations on a burly, no-frills brand of unit? Simrad looks nice but, man, for a price!

Thanks!
I have a Jefa LD100 Jefa linear drive unit type I
Only two years old but looks like a tough drive unit.
This one is the small Garmin model.

The video

More models / info from Jefa
Autopilot drive units

Distributor list
http://jefa.com/dealers/dealers.htm

You should be able to use a non Raymarine drive unit with your Raymarine AP unit.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Have you checked that your rudder bearings are in good condition? If there's significant friction, it could greatly accelerate the wear on your drive, regardless of brand.

FWIW, I've got a Type 2 Long drive on my 40,000 lb boat and while my rudder is somewhat balanced, the drive has been both heavily used and quite reliable. Note that according to Raymarine:

Raymarine Smartpilot - Drive Unit Selection

even the Type 2 Long is slightly undersized for your displacement and if you're using the Type 2 short, you're definitely undersized.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using a Tyep 2 mechanical rotary drive, so there is only one option. However, when I look at the numbers Raymarine posts on their website now, max displacement differs by 4000lbs (48,000 vs. 44,000lbs) from the literature that came with my model (installed 2008) and what they claim now! maybe they realized they had overshot their projections a bit?

as for rudder bearings, i'm swinging as free as can be.

I have just been looking into Jefas and they look pretty nice. I hadn't heard of octopus but will check them out.

thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts