SailNet Community banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I was planning to install an Origo alcohol stove on my sailboat. However, it seems that Dometic has stopped making them.

I'm considering buying a used one. But I'm also using this as an opportunity to consider other options.

My reasons for choosing the Origo in the first place:
  • This boat never had a propane system, so installing a propane stove would be a big job to build the lockers and everything.
  • I like the fact that the Origo can run off multiple fuels and doesn't require pressurized fuel.

So, does anyone know of any options similar to the Origo stoves that I should investigate?
Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has a gimbal kit for sale for a 3000 model and also the fuel diffusers for sale.
Love my Origo but would like to have it gimbaled and I don't have the diffusers (2). The gimbal kit is on ebay for like $130! If anyone has these parts or even an old complete stove, please let me know. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I bought the diffusers from one of the big chandlerys a couple of months ago. They've sold out of the stoves but may have some of the ancillaries still in stock. Worth getting on line and seeing if they have any stock. Can't remember where I got the diffusers but it was either Fisheries Supply, Defender, or West.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the diffusers from one of the big chandlerys a couple of months ago. They've sold out of the stoves but may have some of the ancillaries still in stock. Worth getting on line and seeing if they have any stock. Can't remember where I got the diffusers but it was either Fisheries Supply, Defender, or West.
Thanks roverhi, I checked Defender and WM, they don't have anything but will look at Fisheries.
I appreciate the response. Fair winds.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,482 Posts
Depending on which version, the gimbals would be pretty easy to make. The simple version were essentially truncated triangular aluminum plates. While the 'official' version had fancy studs that included a bushing, if you wanted to build your own, the stud could be a bolt with a nylock nut etc. I put this quick sketch together to show you how you might be able to build your own. (I forgot to sketch in a washer under the bolt head and between the nylock and the plate bolted to the boat,)

There was a more complicated version of the gimbal on my prior boat, a Laser 28, that would allow the gimbal supports to rotate so that the stove could sit on a shelf below it and not swing but I don't know if that was a Laser 28 thing or an Origo thing..
Edit: The fancier gimbal is made by Origo, and seems to be readily available if you Google search Origo 3000 gimbal a number of sources pop up.
Jeff

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depending on which version, the gimbals would be pretty easy to make. The simple version were essentially truncated triangular aluminum plates. While the 'official' version had fancy studs that included a bushing, if you wanted to build your own, the stud could be a bolt with a nylock nut etc. I put this quick sketch together to show you how you might be able to build your own. (I forgot to sketch in a washer under the bolt head and between the nylock and the plate bolted to the boat,)

There was a more complicated version of the gimbal on my prior boat, a Laser 28, that would allow the gimbal supports to rotate so that the stove could sit on a shelf below it and not swing but I don't know if that was a Laser 28 thing or an Origo thing..
Edit: The fancier gimbal is made by Origo, and seems to be readily available if you Google search Origo 3000 gimbal a number of sources pop up.
Jeff
Hi Jeff H, Thanks for the info and I did see the gimbal set is available online. FIsheries seems lowest a $105.86.
I think I could jerry-rig something out of tin or aluminum for the flame diffusers. Appreciate the advice!

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,482 Posts
Hi Jeff H, Thanks for the info and I did see the gimbal set is available online. FIsheries seems lowest a $105.86.
I think I could jerry-rig something out of tin or aluminum for the flame diffusers. Appreciate the advice!
I don't think that you can make the diffuser out of aluminum since the flame is too hot. I would make it out of copper or stainless steel. I would not use tinned or galvanized steel.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I don't think that you can make the diffuser out of aluminum since the flame is too hot. I would make it out of copper or stainless steel. I would not use tinned or galvanized steel.

Jeff
Exactly. I've used copper on other stoves. Easy.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I strongly recommend kerosene. We had this discussion before (you can do a search on sailnet) and there are lovers and haters. I am definitely a lover, for the last 18 years (ever since I own my boat). They are also hard to find by now but I feel that kero is the safest high energy fuel you can use on a boat.
We have kerosene on both boats. The FIRST thing I did on the big boat was replace the propane stove with a kerosene stove.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts