SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says Delco but looks like a Leece neville.

"single foot"?

One of the guys in my club works for a company that rebuilds them I may enlist his help.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank MS! it's noisy.. still charging.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rebuild or replace? Pretty sure the bearing are bad. sounds awful. even above the sound of the diesel.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
rebuild or replace? Pretty sure the bearing are bad. sounds awful. even above the sound of the diesel.
Sorry for the delay D-. I've been out of commission with an ACL reconstruction.

Spider Marine sells the exact same case with 90 amp innards for around $200. The higher amp alt. means that it will likely run cooler, and will have reserve capacity if you need it.

MaineSail has a writeup of the procedure, and ancillary components on his site. I believe that he did this for his Catalina 34.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks E! Yes I've had that Alt bookmarked for some time now. just the damn $ is killing me with !%$#@! boat bucks! There is a shop nearby and another not far away if I want to deal local. I'll probably get the one from spider eventually.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
E, I did some reading.. "self exciting" is used not used? on lower rpm engines like diesels? The "wire" from the key switch can still be added?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Stu I've read and re-read MS allot. I'm leaning towards getting the LV 90 but I keep seeing Delco's quoted by Spider ad a substitute, at nearly half the price! And we know how long Delco's last. I've had great luck with them in my vehicics over my lifetime.

So why don't we use Delco (marine) more on our Diesels? they even come with the pulley! :)

Spider lists this one http://spidermarine.com/ShowItem/104261%20NEW%20Delco%2012v%2094%20Amp%20One%20Wire%20Marine%20Alternator.aspx

I did visit a local shop too. Of course I have to have the old one on his bench before I can get the costs quote. and leaving my boat without power.... Eh... just not sure yet.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered it..(the LV 90 amp) on it's way... sighs... in for a penny....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ordered it..(the LV 90 amp) on it's way... sighs... in for a penny....
Gosh, didn't even give us a chance to answer your question! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm surprised you didn't wait top hear from the shop, unless you did already.

How do you tension that belt on your setup? Do you need an belt tensioner?

Alternator Belt Tensioning Tool Alternator Belt Tensioner FLIX

Good luck, you'll enjoy the peace & quiet! ;)

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
water pump next LOL Thanks Stu. I do still wanna know why don't we use good old delco on our boats? (marine duty)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts