SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
19,489 Posts
Some beautiful work there, but can't say I'm a fan of the 'freshly ground' look topsides and on deck. I understand the utility of not painting aluminum, but...... maybe it will oxidize to a uniform finish? Dunno...

Big project, looks like a heavy design and possibly an odd choice for aluminum??

·
Master Mariner
8,535 Posts
I have scalloped the living daylights out of steel boats, pounding to weather in heavy weather; I can't imagine what an alloy boat would do. I'm not putting them down, only curious as to how they would hold up in similar conditions.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Wow, neat project! The only thing that concerns me about aluminum alloy is that it is easily eaten up by electrolysis. Keeping a boat like that in a marina, you'd have to be very careful about stray current in the water.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Maybe it's me, but if I was there, I'd be yelling....

Put her in the pool! Put her in the pool!

Regards,
Brad

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
On a more serious note, I wonder if they used the super-insulating Cryogel/Aerogel for the fridge. The fridge freezer electrical load drives a lot of downstream decisions for the need for extra solar panels and arches or even the need for a generator. Getting the freezer insulation "right" can make a big difference. (Heat transfer is the "other leak" on our boats.)

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: davidpm

·
Senior Moment Member
13,283 Posts
I'd want mine engine turned.

Attachments

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
669 Posts
Big project, looks like a heavy design and possibly an odd choice for aluminum??
Yeah seems a little small for an aluminum design, tubby and heavy and aluminum is not easy to weld right (and it better be done right, unlike steel). Pretty amazing project to complete at home.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,283 Posts
I'm not a welder but from what I understand MIG and TIG welders have taken the magic out of welding alloy and S/S. Hell, the equipment and techniques have advanced so much that there are more than 3 or 4 guys in North America who can weld cast iron now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts