SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a boat last weekend, we liked her a lot, but she badly needs a paint job. Any one have a suggestion for some places in the northeast or the great lakes that would be able to do a good job painting her? I know it won't be cheap, but if like to get some quotes prior to deciding whether or not we'd like to purchase her.

Thanks!

Brandon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since its one we are thinking about buying, I don't want to give away too much. She's an older custom aluminum sailboat in the high 40's LOA. Currently painted (unfortunately) with AWLGRIP. Preferably someplace where she can be floated most of the way (hence on the Great Lakes or on the northeast coast). Pretty much just looking for the topsides to be prepped and painted, the deck isn't awesome, but not as bad as the topsides. The bottom appears to be in pretty good shape.

Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions!

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
A repaint in Awlgrip would probably be the best choice. Expect to pay a lot for this.

Sorry I can't help on location.

My preference would be bare aluminum. One of the material's advantages.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A repaint in Awlgrip would probably be the best choice. Expect to pay a lot for this.

Sorry I can't help on location.

My preference would be bare aluminum. One of the material's advantages.
Oh, I agree 100% on the "bare aluminum" approach. Unfortunately this particular boat was not built with being left bare in mind, so I really doubt that she would look very good with no fairing compound and paint. Believe me, I know that a re-AWLGRIP will be expensive, just trying to get some options for places to have it applied.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Essex Boat Works in Essex, CT has an excellent reputation. They paint in a downdraft booth with a water curtain to exclude dust. As I recall a coup of year ago, they quoted $285 per foot for shooting awlgrip primer, an egg shell undercoat, and a finish coat. They hand sand before priming, and before the egg shell and final coats. Repair of nicks and dings was additional on a time and material basis

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Essex Boat Works in Essex, CT has an excellent reputation. They paint in a downdraft booth with a water curtain to exclude dust. As I recall a coup of year ago, they quoted $285 per foot for shooting awlgrip primer, an egg shell undercoat, and a finish coat. They hand sand before priming, and before the egg shell and final coats. Repair of nicks and dings was additional on a time and material basis
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Hudsonian. Keep the suggestions coming, I like lots of options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.