SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for something that will clean and stop corrosion on my Lewmar 65 winch bases, but have had no luck. They are corroding at the base where the winch mounts to the teak and on the sides where the black sides protrude above the internal base.
Anybody have any idea of a product or chemical which will clean these areas well enough to prime and repaint? There is no way to sand or clean these areas w/o removing the winches, and that is a huge job.
I am in the Caribbean, so I need a product that is readily available almost anywhere down here.
Thanks.
Tried to add pic but that feature seems not to be working any longer.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I like "Mothers Aluminum and Mag Polish" usually available at Pep Boys etc. takes a lot of rags because the oxide comes off black. Seems to have some chemical component that helps remove the oxides besides the polish.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Lewmar aluminum winches are anodized black or gray. if the corrosion is through the anodizing then polishing will not help much but you can sand and paint. if you are trying to clean off the anodizing which is not a paint you can use ez off oven cleaner in the yellow can or drain cleaner that contains Lye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.