SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Helms ALee!
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what people's opinions are. The boat is a '75 Raymond Richards Ranger 24 - has the original aluminum winches on it and they need replacing. Aluminum would go with the look of the boat better, but I'm a big fan of reliability over style. pros/cons/opinions. Go.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,292 Posts
Why do they need replacing? Are the drums worn down or badly scored?

Bronze or S/S are better than alloy. I've personally never understood alloy winches - you save a couple of pounds and sacrifice the strength and near perpetual life of the other materials.

They don't even look as good IMO.

I'd look for some old S/S Barients in a consignment shop if it was my boat - a pair of new Andersens will cost near the value of the boat.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I have a pair of stainless Barient 16s, old but perfectly serviceable - I replaced them with ST winches and not because they were busted. You could have them for $300 but not sure on the shipping cost as they are rather heavy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I picked up a pair of Barient 10 stainless winches for $200 on ebay when the old marelon ones disintegrated. I figure these will outlast the boat.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
had some beautiful lewmar bronze self tailers on a previous boat of mine, but it was wood so it went with the look...I could of never afforded them if I had to replace them but was happy the boat came with them

they performed and looked great zero maintenance to the bronze, just left them patina naturally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts