SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install an am fm cd player in my Catalina 22. Can anyone help me with a good location or slick idea to mount the marine flush mount speakers for the cockpit ? I did not want to attach box speakers to the pulpits.(rails) I also understand they will affect my compass that is mounted starboard of the companionway. Any other warnings or tips would be appreciated, Thank You, Andy

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If you're going to mount flush mount speakers in the cockpit in a space that empties into the bilge, then I highly recommend you mount the speakers behind deckplates that can be closed off in heavy weather. If the boat gets pooped, the speakers can easily become 6" holes to flood the boat with...so you really should mount them behind deckplates if they open to the bilge.

As for the stereo... I would recommend getting an Alpine car stereo and mounting it down below and getting the marine wired remote for it, and mounting the remote in the cockpit. :)

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Andy...see my car stereo thread and then ask any further questions you have. For the radio...if you don't have a good place to mount it you will need a universal underdash mount:

As for the speakers...mount them at calf level in the cockpit as flush mount speakers. If you need to cover them up down below...get speaker back covers sold by anyone who does in wall or in ceiling audio installations.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deck plates over speakers?

If I cut a large hole for the deck plate to cover the flush mount speaker with grill what is their to mount the speaker to. Do they have deck plates that protrude out so you can just cut the hole for the six inch speaker and screw the deck plate around it? Thank you, Andy

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You mount the speaker inside the coaming or space, behind where the deckplate is mounted.
If I cut a large hole for the deck plate to cover the flush mount speaker with grill what is their to mount the speaker to. Do they have deck plates that protrude out so you can just cut the hole for the six inch speaker and screw the deck plate around it? Thank you, Andy

·
Registered
295 Posts
Andy,

Most of the flush-mounted speakers I've seen have been where Cam just suggested. It is possible that you could mount them in the coamings if there is enough space between the coaming and the hull topside.

For additional tips for this and other projects, check out the C22 site at catalina22.org. Click on links, then click on Skip Meisch's website. Then click on 'other upgrades' in the table of contents there. You can then click on 'Scott Sauve's upgrades' to find where he mounted his radio and the speakers he placed inside the cabin.

In the process of following these links, you'll find links to the sites of other C22 owners and the improvements they've made to their boats. It's amazing the things people have done to their C22s to make them more comfortable.:) Check out 'ChipsAhoy' by Chip Ford, for example.

Good luck on this project and post pictures when you're done. I've been thinking about mounting speakers in my cockpit, too, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Too many other projects on my plate.:(

Pat

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
comraderie

I like your level of common sense. All others I honor your leval of proffesionalism. I will mount them calf high, I am sailing on Seneka lake. I may install scuppers to meet you all half way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts