SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loathe to hook up anything directly to the battery (except the bilge pump, of course). That includes the trickle to the radio that keeps alive the stations I've loaded into memory buttons.

Does anyone know of a radio model that uses nonvolatile memory, so I can turn off the battery switch without having to manually dial the radio next time I board?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Been looking for the same and found that the Jensen JMS2212 has nonvolatile presets as do many offerings in Jensen's "Heavy Duty" product line. The fact that so few "marine" stereos have this important feature in my mind adds to suspicions that most of them are just re-badged car units.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Been looking for the same and found that the Jensen JMS2212 has nonvolatile presets as do many offerings in Jensen's "Heavy Duty" product line. The fact that so few "marine" stereos have this important feature in my mind adds to suspicions that most of them are just re-badged car units.
I think the only ones that are not relabeled auto units are likely the Fusion/Poly Planar style. Not really a problem as long as they pot out the circuit boards with some sort of moisture protection. Even then in a typical install in the overhead, if it gets more than a mist of rain or splash from the companionway I think you have bigger issues than a shorted out FM radio! I have never heard of anyone having issues with an automotive radio for several years and many boats I have looked at still have working 1980's obviously auto stereos. Now if the unit is mounted in the cockpit, or dash of a power boat it might be different but for the standard sailboat of over 22 foot likely a car stereo will do just fine. Now if you want to add a wired remote that is different, then the Jensen becomes a decent entry point.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's silly. The draw on presets is sooooo loooow that you'd hardly use an ah per week. Either that or just don't connect it man manually reset the presets when you get on board. Really, not an issue. This come sup regularly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts