SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just missed picking up a sweet little Pearson 27 II in my area - the one with the head located aft opposite the quarter berth leaving the forward berth free of "heady" odors and a "tamer" ride when ya gotta go while underway than the forward head offers. (At least my sailing companions with smaller bladders attest to this - and it has nothing to do with my boat rolling wake seeking sense of humor when someone goes below for a pee) :)
The only other design I've come across in the 31' and less has been the Bombay Clipper of 30 years ago. What caused builders to put the head forward, and/or is there a 38' or below design that I'm missing that's less than 20 years old and has the head aft?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The '86 Cals I've looked at also position the head aft (on starboard). You can kind of see the layout in the attached photo's, but neither are a great representation, just hints of it.

It's a great idea, makes a huge difference in the cabin. Which is why we're considering buying one....

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
No, you're not alone.:)

But there are actually loads of designs with an aft head: Pacific Seacraft's Flicka 20, Dana 24, Crealock 31, and Crealock 40, a whole slew of recent J-Boats, and plenty of others.

Heck, we even have some old threads around here devoted to the topic. Let me see if I can find you one. This one's a bit dusty, but here you go: Aft Head

·
Registered
124 Posts
Aft Head

Look at the Jeanneau 36i and 39i---nice aft head, separate stall shower, huge storage area aft of that.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Doubles as a great hanging wet locker close to the companionway as well.
Nope, not alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Pearson 28-2 with that same aft head configuration and it is very nice in that the holding tank is in the cockpit locker and not in the main salon.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I've also seen Sabers and Benetoys with an aft head. A number of designers and authors have said that the only requirement for a proper head is that it is mounted athwartships, rather than against the hull, and I'd argue that same point.

Mounting the head forward usually means the forward and aft 'cabins' can each access it without everyone traipsing through whoever is sleeping in the main cabin, and it gives some privacy from the cockpit where folks can be expected to be in residence pretty much all day.

If the tank is vented properly, and the boat is vented properly, head odor shouldn't be an issue. (Yeah, and Mercedes tells me a properly adjusted diesel engine never stinks either. HA.)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
My 85 Jeanneau has an aft head, as do MOST if not ALL Jeanneaus since this time frame have aft heads. There are a few that have forward heads, ie the JOD 35 and the newest 1D racer the SF3200.

Beneteau's cruising line for the most part are aft headed, with the First series, more race oriented are forward head designed. The forward head for what ever reason, seem to be done for a combo of balance, and this also allows two berth/staterooms aft, where sleeping at sea while racing is better.

Reality is, plenty of boat 20yrs and newer with aft heads.

Marty

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
And our Passport 40 has two heads - one just aft of the V-Berth, and a second "Sea head" ensuite with the aft stateroom (i.e. it's literally in the stateroom, in a cabinet that you have to pull the sides and top from to get to it).

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Marty-
I think we should speak softly of Benetoys. Even a certain gentlemen at their US plant has said there are many strange things about their First series over the years. Like, 3" long conventional bolts being used instead of the "normal" long J-bolts in the keels. (Well, I credit them for, ah, innovation?)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
There's nothing wrong with straight bolts threaded into a keel - if the keel is iron - and I believe most Beneteaus have iron keels, do they not?
Brian

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Van De Stadt use this idea in a whole bunch of their boats. The womboat has it. Methinks a good idea if only cos it gets the head away from mine when I'm abed. Only negative is that in smaller boats headroom can be a bit limited if you want a shower. I just make it but one must stoop to rinse out the shampoo.

LeBatt.....that little second head in the P40 is a design gem. Gives the advantage of the secong head without wasting all the space of a dedicated compartment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts