SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Taffy,

Congratulations! You came to the right place (excepting the lawyer-motivated rule of not being able to post negative facts about any products).

There's a thread on how to get the most out of Sailnet, to help with searches, etc. And there are surely other Seawind owners on board.

Just curious, did you buy my friend Glen's boat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ian,
I know the feeling well!
Surveys can be a little overrated anyway, they miss things too and besides, _anything_ can be fixed, anything.
I, too, bought a boat (albeit, smaller) without a survey and sight unseen! It was the most rewarded risk I've ever taken, by far. "risk is rewarded, recklessness punished"
Speaking from my experience, you did the right thing. I suspect it will all work out even better than you can imagine!!!

I just took a look at a Seawind ketch on yachtworld 'Rainflower' GORGEOUS!

Are you gonna sail her back to the UK?

follow your bliss!

dave

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Congrats on 1st of the 2 happiest days of boat ownership! Pictures pictures pictures Please! there's one at my yacht club. A-36 nice boat!

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,119 Posts
... I have bought an Allied Seawind II, 1976. ketch. (wait for it = bought kind of blind at a good price, yes I know I should / will get a survey etc etc please don’t chastise me too hard..) But I am after all-- semi crazy, and in love with the dream.

Just gotta say it, for the benefit of other Sailnets who may be encouraged do something so utterly rash..without a survey you have absolutely no idea what a "good price" for that boat was. I hope you show more caution when you head towards water that is over your head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just gotta say it, for the benefit of other Sailnets who may be encouraged do something so utterly rash..without a survey you have absolutely no idea what a "good price" for that boat was. I hope you show more caution when you head towards water that is over your head.

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Hi Ben505,

thanks or the encouraging message.

is glen a friend of yours ?

my e mail is dr dot ianscott hat yahoo dot com
would be good to hear from you!

Ian
Yes, I've known Glenn for years.

You might want to edit your email to something like "dr dot ianscott hat yahoo dot com" everyone will know what you mean, but the spammer's robot programs won't pick it up as they scour the web looking for emails to spam.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Since we're quoting people here.....I'd advise that from here on out you make haste slowly. (g)

Congratulations, get your survey, and then begin the long process of figuring out everything she needs to fly south. I wouldn't be too eager to put to sea for that trip until I had a hundred hours or so in her underway. There's worse things to do than shake down a boat in NY Harbor.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Yes, you bought Glenn's boat. I just talked with him.

Glenn is a neighbor, best friend, and a straight shooter. He's a good guy to deal with. For instance, he handed-down to me a baby backpack, that he could have put on eBay for $70. (Reminds me I should pass it on to the next person.) He inherited the boat and doesn't know much about sailboats at all. I don't really know much more than that. I haven't seen the boat. With 6 (usually 7 of us), we needed something bigger.

If you want to celebrate the deal, Glenn likes to have a shot or two of scotch.

You can use Sailnet to help find a crew. I did, to good success.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Bene 505,

thats great ... good to know. thanks for the recomendation. He sounds a good guy on the phone. I'll be up there mid april. I'll be carrying a good quality scotch !! Hope we can meet then.

This sailnet is great for sharing. Good people are still out there!

Ian

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Ian, er, Taffy,

This internet 'thingy' is shrinking the world as we know it. Bene505 is good friends with the seller of your Allied. I have met and sailed with Bene505 (aka Brad) through and because of this website. You will meet all kinds here but most of them are just insane about boats ('welcome to the asylum').
Buying without a survey is considered a bit daft especially for the size (and presumably cost) of boat you are now the proud owner of. Worse things have happened recently in the financial markets though then your purchase. Get a survey done and if there are items that need to be addressed before you get here in April drop me a line via the private message (PM to sailnet addicts) facility here. You do need 10 posts to be able to access the PM facility though so keep on posting here.
It turns out that I am in the NY area and have way too much time on my hands and would love to help you in any capacity I can. Heck, I would even go and photograph the boat for you as it is now for free. My only constraints are that I have my own boats (yes, boatS as in plural, so who is crazy here?) to get ready to put in the water.
Welcome to the club and cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi CalebD,

Small world alright. Brad's been really helpful. You have a Tartan 27? I was looking at those, -- nice boats. Happy though with the seawind ....

Thanks for the help offer ... fantastic ... I may take you up on that. For example I need to locate a surveyor to list the work I'll have to do, and a mechanic to check out the motor. Any recomendations welcome. Here's my private e mail so as not to clog up the board.
dr.ianscott at yahoo dot com

I'll look forward to your mail.
thanks
Ian (Taffy is a nickname given to all those from Wales, the land of singing and rugby)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Congratulations Ian. Welcome to sailnet as well.
FIRST BOAT = ALLIED SEAWIND II

Some of you may have felt this on the purchase of your first boat.
It’s 4:30 am. I have a mixture of feelings loosely based around EXCITEMENT and FEAR!
:) :eek:
After over a year researching reviews, reading the excellent posts on this site, etc. I have bought an Allied Seawind II, 1976. ketch. (wait for it = bought kind of blind at a good price, yes I know I should / will get a survey etc etc please don’t chastise me too hard..) But I am after all-- semi crazy, and in love with the dream.

She’s been well looked after. One owner. Original engine. Will need electronics package (recommendations anyone?)
What electronics are you looking to get? Radar? Instruments? Chartplotter? VHF? SSB? AIS? EPIRB?

Personally, I'd recommend the TackTick instruments—the T104 package specifically, which will give you speed, wind, depth, temp, and an NMEA 0183 interface.

For radar/chartplotter, I'd recommend going with Garmin. The Garmin 18HD has been very well recommended by a knowledgeable user here by the name of Maine Sail. I have used their chartplotters and have been very happy with them.

For VHF, I'd say the Icom M504 is a good one, with full Class D DSC, including NMEA 0183 input/output.

SSB, the Icom 802 is the way to go.

EPIRB—I would recommend the ACR Globalfix iPro, which has a small LCD display so that you can read the position data off of the integrated GPS.

I’m a 48 yo Brit (academic/writer) and she’s in New York. The plan? 15-20 April 09, Paint the bottom (advice please, she’s been sanded/blasted = which paint? Technique?)
I'd recommend using Interlux Interprotect 2000E to barrier coat the bottom and then paint with the bottom paint of your choice.

Put her in the water, mount masts etc. Overhaul / check engine condition. Then, I’d thought I’d pay / invite anyone who has more experience than me to come sailing. That way I can feel more confident on the boat. So the invitations there anyone --

Oh, the plan after? All being well, end April, sail her down the coast to Florida. Once again passengers welcome!!
Would help if you said where she was lying... I'm sure there are quite a few members near where she is... Obviously, on the east coast someplace. Might even get some volunteers for crew.

It’s a tall order. I’m not what I’d call an experienced sailor. And although it may not appear that way, common sense available + willingness to learn.

Maybe (hopefully) I’ll be laughing at this post years on, with many nautical miles under my belt --

For now – I just can’t sleep !

IAN
Congratulations... post photos when you can. I generally recommend that you get a flickr.com, photobucket.com or other photo sharing website account, and upload the photos there. Then, once you have 10 posts, you can link to them by using the provided IMG code that they have.

Reactions: sailaway21

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tips everyone -- very helpful.. these communities are great !! well done to the administrators!!

My boat hull # 34 is in Northport, ny I'll be there mid april if anyone is curious to see her on the hard. I'll be painting first, then putting her in the water. Volunteers/ crew / spectators welcome!!!

Ian

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hey I am located right near Northport harbor is the boat in Brittania?
I would love to help you out getting her ready on weekends just got to ask my dad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dream or nightmare? mmm Well, it has to be a dream to reach exotic islands, sample unusual cultures, taste forgotten foods, cross oceans chased by dolphins, visit the sites of old Europe, sail up the Nile ...... (insert yours here .....)
And the nightmare? Better you tell me.

Mr Mrwuffles ........ yes she's at Britannia, Northport. Happy to have you along. Mid april I'll be painting and putting her in the water. Send me your e mail.

Here's a pic of the hull.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts