SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some advice on a paint job issue.

I am rebuilding a 27' catamaran. The boat was in serious need of a new paint job. I have already had the entire boat soda blasted (topsides, mast, etc). I have even removed ALL the hardware. What I want is to get the boat primed, faired, and repainted. I'm doing the non skid deck and i'm doing the bottom paint. Literally I just want the hull sides, rudders, and spars painted. (think two 27' long canoes).

I am getting crazy quotes all over the place. $11,000 to $2500. What do you think would be a reasonable sum to do such a job. I was thinking maybe a couple grand but most quotes are close to 4,000. (BTW... 3 coats prime an 2 coats Awlgrip or Awlcraft)

Keep in mind the boat is sodablasted and free from all hardware so most of the PITA work has been done.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
That's only $2,000 per hull!

Seriously, $4k is not a bad price. The labor costs are in the fairing and sanding. If you want to save money, you could do the fairing, sanding, and masking, and hire a shooter.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just got a quote of $14,000 to fair and re-paint my 40 which I think is high but that should give you an idea.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If you're doing the bottom paint...and non-skid... why not do the topsides, spars and rudder. BTW, the rudder shouldn't be painted with regular paint, at least the underwater portion. You could do a pretty decent job of painting it by rolling and tipping it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The going rate I am seeing is about $35/ft here in Tampa Bay; and that dosnt often include the painting supplies.

So if you have 27ft cat you have two hull to paint so:

27x2=54 54x35= $1890

You might want to check out www.southwindssailing.com; many SW Florida yards have ads in the back of their e-magazine.

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
The new slip occupant across from me has a Bristol 40 with Awlgrip that he rolled himself, not tipped. You flat out cant tell it wasn't tipped till you stick your eyeball within a couple or 3 feet of it. Very nice looking. My vote would be the heck with the pros, do it yourself.

michael

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about doing the paint myself but down here in Fl these days the weather is totally erratic and adjusting for humidity and temp would be a bear. I did all the hardware removal myself... Let me tell you... in a Fl summer that is all I wanted to do. The new paints are damn good but I still think a sprayed finish looks best. I'm just not sure that I am not getting the standard 'rip off the boat guy' rate. Especially considering a lot of the hard work has been done.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Paint job

I had the topsides of my 37 foot sloop repainted with Awlgrip last Fall for $7100 and change. My hull is two tone with white upper half and blue lower half. The job also included the white deck areas which aren't much for my boat as most is teak. The yard did ALL the work and I just showed up with money when they were done. So with that said I'd guess that somewhere in the $10,000 area for your boat would be equivalent considering the double hull.

·
Registered
201 Posts
$200-275 / ft is the going full service rate (prep, prime, spray) for Awlgrip. You probably have some upwards adjustment to make for 2 hulls. I would guess $10k +/- 20%.

You may also consider Imron as an alternative to Awlgrip.

With paint....remember, you are going to get what you pay for. Be suspect of quote outlyers, high or low.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Six, just make sure to throw out any estimate from any vendor who is not doing the job in a climate-controlled paint room. Usually that means temperature controlled indoor spray room, but in your case it might mean temp & humidity, I'm not sure how much they can compensate for humidity down there without some mechanical help.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well

After a lifetime of painting machines and bicycles with two part paint (that i got paid for)

Painting my mast this winter with Perfection exceeded my preconceived difficulty level by about 1000% because the marine paints are a PITA compared to any auto paint

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,298 Posts
$200/ft is typical in my area, hard for me to say whether a catamaran should be high or low compared to a mono.

Proper and exaustive prep is 90% of the work. If you literally mean that the topsides and spars were soda blasted, I would would think your prep work much higher than usual, as the blasting would leave a rough, pitted surface and require some level of extra fairing...Sprayed paint will show every and any imperfection in the underlying surface.

My boat has a 15 year old Imron white finish that still looks quite good despite taking quite a beating. I recommend Awlcraft or Imron rather than Awlgrip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
remember, you are going to get what you pay for. Be suspect of quote outlyers, high or low.
Yeah, that's the truth. I had a guy come out for an estimate. He walks around the boat for about 4 minutes and tells me $2500.00 for an Awlgrip finish. I think great price but what's the catch. Turns out he wants to sand it in my driveway and do his painting in the grass out back in my yard. I show him some loose old paint and ask if it should be stripped (already knew the answer) and he tells me it will be fine...that's what primer is for! I can only imagine what his final product would have looked like.:puke

1 - 13 of 13 Posts