845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,620 Posts
Nice!

Here is another example of an out-of-this-world HOMEBUILT steel sailboat;

S/V Restless

Bob Kingsland is/was a member here, and sometimes shares his perspective on the project.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Nice!

Here is another example of an out-of-this-world HOMEBUILT steel sailboat;

S/V Restless

Bob Kingsland is/was a member here, and sometimes shares his perspective on the project.
RESTLESS is the most impressive homebuilt project I've ever seen, no question...

Guess you haven't heard, but Bob sadly passed away a couple of years ago... He lived to see the completion of his project, but never got to do much with her after her launch...

Robert C. Kingsland Obituary: View Robert Kingsland's Obituary by The Cohasset Mariner

I believe that aluminum project has been posted here before... Amazing craftsmanship, to be sure... However, if one was building a dream boat from scratch, and had complete control over everything that went into it, why would one choose a freakin' VOLVO as your powerplant? :))

Hate to nitpick such extraordinary work, but the use of PVC pipe for that hookup to the engine is a really bad idea...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope this answers the quality question.

Funny you should notice that. The PVC was a mockup for the stainless steel fabricator. It's now finished with Schedule 80 S.S.

Edit: also, that's not the intake but the exhaust.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
RESTLESS is the most impressive homebuilt project I've ever seen, no question...

Guess you haven't heard, but Bob sadly passed away a couple of years ago... He lived to see the completion of his project, but never got to do much with her after her launch...

Robert C. Kingsland Obituary: View Robert Kingsland's Obituary by The Cohasset Mariner

I believe that aluminum project has been posted here before... Amazing craftsmanship, to be sure... However, if one was building a dream boat from scratch, and had complete control over everything that went into it, why would one choose a freakin' VOLVO as your powerplant? :))

Hate to nitpick such extraordinary work, but the use of PVC pipe for that hookup to the engine is a really bad idea...
When I think of outstanding work on a home built boat, I think of SV Restless. I didn't know he had passed away. Thanks for that info. He did a wonderful job on his boat.

·
19,488 Posts
That has been posted here before, but it's worth another look, great work. The Restless project is/was more mind boggling yet. Take the time to look at that, too. The level of detail and finish is absolutely astounding. So sad the builder wasn't able to enjoy it afterwards.

Jon, any idea where she (Restless) is now?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Hope this answers the quality question.
Thanks, that makes much more sense...

What, the guy can't do his own SS fabrication? :))

Extraordinary project on every level... Not every day, you see a cruising boat with what appears to be a dry stack exhaust. I ran one about a year ago, my ears were ringing for days after that trip... :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Holy cow! That is amazing. A tremendous amount of work and money. I thought the same thing about the PVC (and the choice of the Volvo! :) ), thanks for clarifying.

When I think of "all" the work I've done and have (want) to do on my boat, then I think of these guys.. I got nothing on them. Nothing. Not even in the same area code.

And they end up with a beautiful and strong looking boat as well. I hope they are enjoying it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just looked at S/V Restless and read his Bio and Obit. Trully impressive. It looks extremely well crafted. Sorry to read he passed away.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Another of the more remarkable projects I've ever seen, that I know some here will recall, was Glenn Ashmore's cold-molded 45-footer RUTU... His attention to detail, the level of craftsmanship, simply off the charts...

Unfortunately, his website seems to have disappeared a couple of years ago, that can't be a good sign... Anyone have any recent info on Glenn, he always seemed to me to be a wonderful gentleman...

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,620 Posts

No, I had not... Very sad :(

Here is his obit from the link;
Robert Carey Kingsland, 65, passed away in the early hours of June 22, 2012 at his Scituate home. The son of his dear parents Lawrence Kingsland and Margaret Fitz, Bob grew up in Cohasset after a formative childhood in Naples, Italy, and Karachi, Pakistan. At Cohasset High School, he starred in musical productions and endeared himself to many with his deeply inquisitive and magnetic personality. A record-setting pole vaulter on the Track & Field team at Brown University, Bob paused his studies to participate in the peace movement of the late 60s. He graduated with the class of 1970, concentrating in anthropology and studio art. After research as an underwater archaeologist in Guatemala, he co-founded the company U.S. Bells, through which he created innovative kinetic metal sculptures, mobiles, and bells influenced by Alexander Calder and the natural world. Bob also spent nearly 15 years in the commercial swordfishing industry as a harpooner and spotter pilot off Georges Bank, earning an instrument rating and 3200 airborne hours. In the last seventeen years of his life, Bob, a world-class welder, was a senior experimental machinist at the Boston University Scientific Instruments Facility, where he also pioneered its renowned Student Training Center. As director, he ensured his students safety and fostered their intellectual curiosity, and they honored him by establishing an award in his name. Bob inspired many with his dream of building a 50 L, 14 W steel sailboat, a functional work of art which he named Restless and launched in Scituate Harbor in June 2007 after thirty years of creation (S/V Restless). Friends and family will never forget his joy finally sailing this floating sculpture. He was a voracious reader and a brilliant, adventurous, witty, and compassionate man. In others wordsa legend. His commitment to his family, loyal friendship, and student mentorship were as meaningful to him as his art. Always a trailblazer, Bob was unmatched in his passion and determination. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer on his 64th birthday last March, and was exceptionally brave and courageous in the face of the disease which took the life he loved so much. He is already deeply missed by his immediate family, with whom he shared a rare and special bond: Sandy, wife of twenty-eight years; daughters Haley (25, of San Francisco) and Brooke (23, of Boston); as well as his feisty parrot Hondo and faithful poodle Jasper. Bob also leaves behind his four fond siblings: Margaret, Larry, Richard, and Holly. Innumerable close friends and colleagues, in-laws, and other relatives will remember Bobs insatiable zest for life, as will the communities of the BU Physics Department, Satuit Boat Club, and Scituate First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church, where a celebration of Bobs life took place Wednesday, July 11, 2012, at 3 p.m., 330 First Parish Rd, Scituate. Reception followed at the Lightkeepers House, 15 Lighthouse Lane, Cohasset. Both The Scituate Library Foundation (85 Branch St., Scituate, MA, 02066), and the New England Wildlife Center (NEWC, 500 Columbian St., South Weymouth, MA, 02190) are accepting donations in Bobs memory. We love you, Bob.
All the more reason to NOT put off sailing now...

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Amazing job. Can't help thinking I'd rather have spent the 14 years sailing than building though.

·
2,449 Posts
Wow. All I can say is Wow...

·
Master Mariner
9,188 Posts
Very, very nice. I wish I had the patience and skill to do a project like that.
I hope they have a wonderful retirement on that beauty. I hope she anchors next to us one day soon. I'd love to make their acquaintance and see their creation first hand.
Thanks for the post.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Most projects like this either never get finished or are sold for pennies on the dollar as "80% finished" projects that turn into abominations. In awe of their skill and perseverance. Hope they have many, many years on her.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts