SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Sailnet.com

Been looking for something fo fulfill my need for adventure for a long time...tried mountain biking but alas I live in South Texas (an hour from Port Isabel), tried snowskiing (see above location).

I dont know why I started looking up sailing last week, but I did and found this forum and can't stop reading. Bought "The Complete Sailor," began reading...looked up used sailboats and found they are not nearly as expensive as I thought.

Was watching "Benjamin Button" the other day with my dad and there's a scene where Brad Pitt is sailing about a 20'-25' er...my dad says "Hey wouldn't it be fun to learn to sail, buy a boat and travel?"...this is something he has said FOREVER...but we've never done anything about it.

I shared with him about this site and what I've discovered so far and now we're hooked.

I'm making my way down to Port Isabel this weekend to volunteer as "rail meat" in a race at a local yacht club...(thanks to advice from this site)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome, Prankster! This is indeed a great site, with lots of sailing knowledge at your fingertips. As you surf the net, you will also find dedicated groups of sailors, inland and on the coast, all over Texas.

Congrats on locating a race nearby. Tell us how you did!:D

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,178 Posts
Awesome to see you have caught the sailing bug!
Sailor's are definitely an adventurous lot, there are many different ways of doing it and philosophies surrounding it, so just get out there and have some fun.

Oh yeah and welcome to Sailnet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts