SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Bombay Explorer 44
3,618 Posts
Reaction score
TANSTAFL

If you get that ready to sail you will have spent three to ten times what it is worth. Three times and maybe a year running around for used. Ten if you buy new.

So give it away.

Check on Craigslist for something like this. Chrysler 22, sailboat

A weeks hard work plus two visits to Home Depot and you will be sailing.

· Bombay Explorer 44
3,618 Posts
Reaction score
Well if you go ahead with it then contact these guys https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp for mast and rigging.

Make sure you factor in carriage charges on the mast. Where I am they are 2 to 3 times the cost of the mast.

Lee Sails can do new sails at a reasonable price. Lee Sails: Sailmaker to the world.

But I would buy that Chrysler, rent a pressure washer then maybe a buffer for the hull. A pint of epoxy to put everything back inside and I will be sailing next weekend with very little stress.

· Bombay Explorer 44
3,618 Posts
Reaction score
OK OK we get the message.

If you find a used rig try and get the wire rigging AND THE TURNBUCKLES. It is unlikely that the wires [stays ] will be the right length but wire is cheap turnbuckles are not.

Making new wire rigging stays is a DIY job with talurit swages. The tool you need is $25 on ebay or you can rent the pro type.. Start with the longest first. That way if you screw up you already have one end done for a shorter one. Use I used to fly hang gliders and made my own for those. two swages each end was the recommendation. DIY Thimble and Ferrule Swaging - YouTube

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.