SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Larry Ellison has chosen Bermuda as the venue for the next America's Cup races.
The Cup remains in the hands of a man who cares nothing for the country and people that made him so rich. Obviously, this is his way of keeping the riffraff away, so only the wealthy can enjoy this, the grandest of sailing races, first hand. Bravo, Mr. Elitist Ellison.
It is the first time in the history of the Cup that a US team has decided to defend the Cup outside their own country.
What an a$$hole!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
It'll probably end up as an easy win for Oracle because the talk in New Zealand (from the biggest supporter in government) is that the AC being held in Bermuda does not sit well with the NZ government (major sponsor), their view being that racing in the heartland of the rich and famous does not send the right message to the population of NZ.

So there is a very real possibility that ETNZ will not be there.

So that may be the end of ETNZ forever - they depend very heavily on government funding.

Bermuda is not even American ferkrisake, it's British territory - how the heck does an American defender justify not holding the AC in their own country? Probably riding on the back of Alinghi not holding the AC in Switzerland. Well, duh!!

Quite honestly, while I have been a keen supporter of AC over the years, I'm over Oracle, Coutts and Ellison and all their tricks and subterfuge - half of me says let them get on with it - we (NZ) will get on with something else.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
AC on the Great Lakes would be wonderful...

Seriously though, I lost all interest in AC when the boats stopped looking like boats and turned into low flying airplanes with sails. I was honestly routing for NZ last time as they had the intention of "returning the cup to sane levels"

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
last time I enjoyed watching the americas cup was when nz black magic whipped some ass...yes monohulls yes tight racing and yes good action

everything since has been plain retarded, mostly ellisson big money and shennanigans

when money became the key factor and mediatic hooplah was the name of the game it just lost it...

even when it came to san fran where I saild a looooooong time and couldnt be there I really didnt feel bad about it at all

I despies oracle and ellison and think they have ruined as well as all the other guys who became big headed and stubborn and $$$$$$$$$$$ diggers like coutts and all the other old dogs who just play for money

lastly the only thing exciting for me this time around will be ben ainsle who seems a little more down to earth and hasnt sold his soul to the "oracles" yet

well see

bermuda schumda doesnt make a diffference what does it what has become of the cup not necessarily the place its defended

for what its worth Id take it over san diego in a heartbeat...thats just me though

peace

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I agree it should be held in the united states by the old rules the race must be held in the defending country. Most ppl now days don't realise the name america in the cup isn't for the country but for the name of the first non British challenger to win the race
" It was originally called, "The Guinea Cup" by the Royal Yacht Squadron of Great Britain, which invited the Americans to send a boat to compete in a race around the Isle of Wight. This was held in conjunction with the International Exposition going on in London's Crystal Palace in 1851.** So... Americans, not afraid of a challenge said, "Sure."* :)** It was actually John C. Stevens, Commodore of the New York Yacht Club who agreed to race.* He formed a syndicate to finance the building of a new yacht with the latest technology to take on the world. On August 22nd 1851, at exactly 1000, a gun fired by the Royal Yacht Squadron signaled the start of a race that would change the history of yachting.

The boat was designed by by George Steers and built by William H. Brown.* It was a 100-foot schooner and named, "America."* Her start wasn't impressive in the 53-mile course.* But like the turtle and the hare, well,* by the end of the race she ended up so far ahead of all the other competitors " excerpt from America's Cup History plus Statistics by Brownielocks

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Honestly I don't really get the huge AC bashing. Best I can tell the AC has always been about the technology, and who can exploit the rules best. The absolute best races were when the best sailors won with the boats that were using the older technology.

It's always been an ARMS race, and honestly putting it in a venue that is less about nationality, and more about the venue, is really more in line with teams that are themselves multi-national.

Besides, a bunch of you will make an excuse to travel to Bermuda to see it anyway, and why not, its a great sailing location!

If you folks want honest to goodness sailor on sailor racing, go see the J/70 worlds, or frankly ANY One Design national series. Then it's all about the people, and not about the boats (unless of course someone constructs a carbon fiber - whatever).. Sorry I digress.

·
Registered
541 Posts
...The absolute best races were when the best sailors won with the boats that were using the older technology....
I agree wholeheartedly. This is now a billionaire's party with sailing space ships.

Besides, a bunch of you will make an excuse to travel to Bermuda to see it anyway, and why not, its a great sailing location!
I totally support the location - its a beautiful place and this is going to be a huge boost to Bermuda's economy.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Honestly I don't really get the huge AC bashing. Best I can tell the AC has always been about the technology, and who can exploit the rules best. The absolute best races were when the best sailors won with the boats that were using the older technology.

It's always been an ARMS race, and honestly putting it in a venue that is less about nationality, and more about the venue, is really more in line with teams that are themselves multi-national.

If you folks want honest to goodness sailor on sailor racing, go see the J/70 worlds, or frankly ANY One Design national series. Then it's all about the people, and not about the boats (unless of course someone constructs a carbon fiber - whatever).. Sorry I digress.
hence my sir ben ainsle godspeed! he is a killer and despite his wealth is down to earth

any dinghy racer that rules the world as it has been for a while now can become a serious contender in an americas cup challenge my issue is the image of the ac as many can attest has been killed by these idiots today...just the bickering that goes on in courts should be enough to take the beauty out of any americas cup

I agree with others about the come back kid feel of the last americas cup on behalf of new zealand only to be spoiled by the claims right or wrong of wheter something was modded illegaly during the races

anywhoo

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Apparently Larry Ellison has chosen Bermuda as the venue for the next America's Cup races.
The Cup remains in the hands of a man who cares nothing for the country and people that made him so rich. Obviously, this is his way of keeping the riffraff away, so only the wealthy can enjoy this, the grandest of sailing races, first hand. Bravo, Mr. Elitist Ellison.
It is the first time in the history of the Cup that a US team has decided to defend the Cup outside their own country.
What an a$$hole!
I'm happy to see the America's Cup return to ocean racing. That will be cool for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the effect it will have on the boat designs.

We've had too many years of light air venues with little to no sea.

I'd like to see a return to more attainable boat designs as well. During the days of 12 meters, expensive as they were by the standards of the days, looked like the boats we all sail. You could see the technology move from AC to West Marine in just a few years.

Who the heck is going to run generators providing power for hydraulically actuated canting keels on a day sail or beer can race? Can you imagine the impact of flying hulls on PHRF?

Perhaps, just perhaps, Mr. Ellison is taking a step in the right direction.

I can see some pretty cool analogies between around Bermuda to the original around the Isle of Wight.

There is a long and positive sailing history between Bermuda and the United States.

Nothing is settled and we will see how events unfold. It is way too early to say the venue is a bad choice. There is much to hope for.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
It sounds to me like Larry and minions have wised up and realized that turning the AC into NASCAR with sails STILL isn't going to interest enough new people.. so they are racing like it was sailing first... As for good sailors being involved... this race will ALWAYS draw some great sailors... Sir Ainslie included, even though its an arms race. Because if you show up with a pop gun to a gun fight, you ought to have someone who can do damage with that pop gun!

Those who think the courts getting involved are somehow new, or ridiculous, have obviously never been to many protest hearings. Elevate that to a national venue, and millions of dollars of sponsor, and personal money/time, and you can see why lawyers would get involved (oh and the courts were involved in even some of the earliest AC races).

Now to plan a trip to Bermuda.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I agree with Schnool. From the very beginning, the America's Cup has been more of a competition to produce the best technology than a competition of sailing skill. When only two boats are competing, the likelihood is that the faster one will win. Likewise, the boat that is technologically superior (i.e., with the best design, the best sailcloth, the best hardware, etc.) will likely win the race. Technology is expensive. The AC has never been a sport for a skilled sailor with a good boat. It has always been a sport for multimillionaires who could afford the best technology. You guys act as if Larry Ellison is the first rich man to sponsor a yacht in the AC, and you act as if resorting to the courts to resolve important issues is a sin. Actually, that's the way civilized folks resolve important issues. It's much preferable to firearms at 20 paces at dawn.

Moreover, technology is never stagnant. The search for superior technology means that change is inevitable. We're in the midst of the space age, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that the yachts that are now competing in the AC should look like space ships. Some folks need to lighten up and learn to accept change. If some of you had your way, we'd still be trying to figure out how to make airplanes with wings and propeller-driven internal combustion engines fly in space. :D

·
Windseeker
177 Posts
I'm looking forward to it, though I can understand NZs (and likely other teams) worry about it looking like the sport of kings and also having a lower promotional value for them than if they were in a larger country. I also have to admit it would have been great to have it in SD, my backyard.

But we need competitions out there that are funded by the super rich and concentrate design and manufacturing might and talent together. The end result will be advances in foil design, sail design etc that will trickle down for sure. Alright I don't expect to sail a 65ft foiler but I can look forward to small craft like the phantom benefiting.

We can also hope that the competition continues to push sailing media distribution. Its a hard sport to film live but they did a good job last time and will hopefully improve with lessons learnt getting out to the broader sailing community.

So I'm going to be glued to the next AC, just like I was to the last.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I'm happy to see the America's Cup return to ocean racing. That will be cool for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the effect it will have on the boat designs.

We've had too many years of light air venues with little to no sea.
I don't know, Dave - do you really suppose they would race outside of the reef? I'm guessing the venue will be off Hamilton, in the protected waters between there and the Dockyard, no?

Nothing is settled and we will see how events unfold. It is way too early to say the venue is a bad choice. There is much to hope for.
Hey, it could be worse... Frankly, I'm surprised Ellison didn't go for the Cayman Islands. That's probably where most of his money is stashed, and he's always proudly flown the Cayman flag from his own yachts, after all...

:)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I don't know, Dave - do you really suppose they would race outside of the reef? I'm guessing the venue will be off Hamilton, in the protected waters between there and the Dockyard, no?
If they do I'll be very disappointed. Is there enough room in there for meaningful racing? They'd have to shut down all the ferries!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts