SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She is a shrunk Amphibicon, 20 foot Grampian Triangle 20, and I intend to own her. Price is free, includes boat, motor, sails and trailer.

I can't stand keel hung rudders and generally don't like stub keels, but for the price and the opportunity to own a piece of Grampian history she is irresistible.

She will fit a nice niche in my fleet. Something more capable than my Bay Hen on the great lakes. Maybe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,823 Posts
Reaction score
Those old MORC boats actually sailed quite well for their era. They were pretty responsive and a lot more seaworthy than many of the CCA derived designs of that time period.

Chuck Angle was a pretty fair designer. The fractional rig should be easier to handle. Keel centerboard boats have a lot of advantages for poking around shallow venues and still having decent upwind performance. The self-bailing cockpit is nice on a boat this size.

I agree that I don't love that rudder, but I would try it for a while. If it is as bad as it looks, it would be pretty easy to build a transom hung kick up rudder.

Jeff

Reactions: Arcb

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those old MORC boats actually sailed quite well for their era. They were pretty responsive and a lot more seaworthy than many of the CCA derived designs of that time period.

Chuck Angle was a pretty fair designer. The fractional rig should be easier to handle. Keel centerboard boats have a lot of advantages for poking around shallow venues and still having decent upwind performance. The self-bailing cockpit is nice on a boat this size.

I agree that I don't love that rudder, but I would try it for a while. If it is as bad as it looks, it would be pretty easy to build a transom hung kick up rudder.

Jeff
Interesting. Currently stalled with some concerns about the trailer. No brakes, lights or spare tire and snow in the forecast every day this week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts